Diesel bird

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
I have a black head caique who is very head strong but keeps us laughing. He is 6 years old and loves my husband and me. He hates our son and will chase him😂. His favorite thing to say is “what”. He calls my husband”hey buddy” and he calls me a sound that sounds like squirting spit sound. Lol…

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
So I dunno what your asking but I'd say Lock your son and bird togother in a room I dunno.....Otherwise sounds great.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
There was a caique in our parrot club who said he was a hoot. He was! Nothing quite like sitting at a table and a caique goes **bounce bounce bounce** across from you, in order to steal another parrot's food!

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
So I dunno what your asking but I'd say Lock your son and bird togother in a room I dunno.....Otherwise sounds great.
Diesel bird would definitly come out in better shape than my son🤣🤣🤣

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Wow! Does he bounce?
Diesel bird does bounce. Especially when his Daddy gives him a low tone beat and snaps his fingers. We call him dancing when he does that🥰

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Diesel bird does bounce. Especially when his Daddy gives him a low tone beat and snaps his fingers. We call him dancing when he does that🥰
I will see if I can find a video of him

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Caiques - 98% of the time they have you laughing, the other 2%.......

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Diesel bird dancing

Attachments

• 4A50A4EC-691B-4924-93CD-E040981CC40B-75222-0000230B37D5BDE8.mov
    7.9 MB

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a black head caique who is very head strong but keeps us laughing. He is 6 years old and loves my husband and me. He hates our son and will chase him😂. His favorite thing to say is “what”. He calls my husband”hey buddy” and he calls me a sound that sounds like squirting spit sound. Lol…
Is that bouncing thing caiques do a natural behavior or do you need to teach them to do it?

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Such a strikingly beautiful bird! I love his black cap and orange fluffy pants! Certainly one of nature's best dressed parrots!
Yea his looks lets him get away with it. He is mischievous and very playful. Never a dull moment for sure.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I. Love. Caiques. Diesel is SO adorable.
Is that bouncing thing caiques do a natural behavior or do you need to teach them to do it?
It's natural. My caique did this ALL the time-- same with rolling on their backs and flying/bouncing/running while holding things in their feet. Caiques are just silly like that.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I. Love. Caiques. Diesel is SO adorable.

It's natural. My caique did this ALL the time-- same with rolling on their backs and flying/bouncing/running while holding things in their feet. Caiques are just silly like that.
I had a Goffin's cockatoo that would bounce around like she had springs in her feet.

I hear that Caiques can be pretty nippy but I think all parrots can, even if hand raised. Are they any nippier than a typical conure?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I had a Goffin's cockatoo that would bounce around like she had springs in her feet.

I hear that Caiques can be pretty nippy but I think all parrots can, even if hand raised. Are they any nippier than a typical conure?
I've never had a conure so I don't have much experience, and you're right that it depends on how the bird was raised, but all of the conures I've interacted with have been pretty nippy-- almost as nippy as my caique was. The main difference is that my caique would bite a lot harder and ended up drawing blood the majority of the time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've never had a conure so I don't have much experience, and you're right that it depends on how the bird was raised, but all of the conures I've interacted with have been pretty nippy-- almost as nippy as my caique was. The main difference is that my caique would bite a lot harder and ended up drawing blood the majority of the time.
Does he still bite a lot?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Does he still bite a lot?
She unfortunately died from a respiratory infection in 2019, but yes-- she would bite often until the very end. I think it's just kinda part of owning a caique. I never thought of it as a behavioral issue that needed fixing. It's just a caique being a caique. Especially because her hard bites didn't just come out of nowhere-- usually something would set them off. She would nip for no reason but biting is usually not completely random.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She unfortunately died from a respiratory infection in 2019, but yes-- she would bite often until the very end. I think it's just kinda part of owning a caique. I never thought of it as a behavioral issue that needed fixing. It's just a caique being a caique. Especially because her hard bites didn't just come out of nowhere-- usually something would set them off. She would nip for no reason but biting is usually not completely random.
Biting is one of the reasons I probably will not get a bird bigger than a cockatiel. It's something that parrot owner must accept. Parrots are not domesticated like cats and dogs and can be unpredictable. Plus they live such long lives. 30 to 50 years is a long time to own a high maintenance creature that bites hard enough to draw blood.

Most Reactions

Latest posts