Diesel bird

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Biting is one of the reasons I probably will not get a bird bigger than a cockatiel. It's something that parrot owner must accept. Parrots are not domesticated like cats and dogs and can be unpredictable. Plus they live such long lives. 30 to 50 years is a long time to own a high maintenance creature that bites hard enough to draw blood.
I ABSOLUTELY agree!! Parrots are only a few generations from the wild. Some people have ridiculously high expectations of them, which I feel is so unfair. This is a wild animal you're bringing into your home. They come with all of their wild behaviors, and YOU need to adapt to the parrot's needs, not the other way round.

Last edited:
OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Diesel is nippy. He will be completely good and playing around and the next second he is lunging at me. I am getting good at recognising his very subtle signs that his is going to bite me. And quick at getting out of the way. I keep his wings clipped bc that seems to help with his quick temper.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Diesel is nippy. He will be completely good and playing around and the next second he is lunging at me. I am getting good at recognising his very subtle signs that his is going to bite me. And quick at getting out of the way. I keep his wings clipped bc that seems to help with his quick temper.
See this is a great example. The human should be learning to read the bird's body language-- and act accordingly to what the bird is feeling. Parrots can't adjust their behavior to make us happy. They didn't ask to be in our homes anyway.

You seem like a great bird parent and I hope Diesel thrives in your care :)

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
A few pics from this week

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3809.mov
    7.6 MB

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I have a black head caique who is very head strong but keeps us laughing. He is 6 years old and loves my husband and me. He hates our son and will chase him😂. His favorite thing to say is “what”. He calls my husband”hey buddy” and he calls me a sound that sounds like squirting spit sound. Lol…
Smokey just said his first mimic so Desiel mimicry is so funny to hear 🤣

OP
Denise1229

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Rainy Sunday afternoon

Attachments