Controversial parrot opinions/controversial things I do with my birds!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I Pet my male birds on the back (those that let me).
petting th back of a female will put them in the mood.
most male birds don’t like there back touched.
even if the get worked up, no eggs to worry about

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
if I lived in the middle of nowhere where it's dark I would'ent cover my budgies but currently I cover them rn cause we live near the highway and lights shine in the window every couple minutes I wouldent want there sleep disturbed

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I am terrible at giving Primor Toys.
It's as if I am so afraid he is going to injure himself when I am not around.

Otherwise I am perfect!

My partner on the other hand is the worst!!!
Every risky thing you can do with an Amazon or Macaw he will do cause he is that dumb and refuses to read the ParrotForums.com...
If I don't watch him like a hawk the perv. would probably mate with Max.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I guess I don't do many controversial things, I don't take my birds in for annual checkups aaaaand
none of my cockatiels eat any kind of pellets. I just sprinkle TOPs pellet powder on top of their chop like 3-4 times a week, all of my other birds eats pellets (only like 5-10% of their diet). I can't think of anything else right now though πŸ˜…

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I am terrible at giving Primor Toys.
It's as if I am so afraid he is going to injure himself when I am not around.

Otherwise I am perfect!

My partner on the other hand is the worst!!!
Every risky thing you can do with an Amazon or Macaw he will do cause he is that dumb and refuses to read the ParrotForums.com...
If I don't watch him like a hawk the perv. would probably mate with Max.
I hope your partner has many other redeeming qualities!

I've become intolerant and boot these types of humans from my inner circle. πŸ‘’ πŸ₯Ύ πŸ‘ž ;)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh! I just thought about something else, I have one sand perch in each of my birds' cages, not in front of their food or water bowls, not even near a toy.

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
I admit I give my Bingo a single sip of coffee in the morning like once a month.
It's best that you not give caffeine, even a sip. There is no reason and it's not healthy. A sip to a small bird is like half a cup to us. Really, it's not ok. Use chicory, which I drink instead of coffee. It's delicious and my grey boy loves it. One cup ground chicory to 1/2 gallon of. water ... let sit and cold brew for at least 24 hours. DELICIOUS! And it is healthy.

OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
This thread is very interesting to read. My bird has always been an only bird - the people I adopted him from had cats (a ton of them) but Noco was by himself stuck in a cage his whole 31 years of life. He had totally bonded with me now, and also likes my three dogs, but he is seriously a bossypants and I don't think he would be happy if another bird showed up. Maybe someday we will meet another bird owner in my area (mid-coast Maine) and see what he says!

One thing i had not heard of - controversy around covering a birds cage at night? What are the reasons NOT to do so? (Noco loves his blankie-cover and asks for it when he is tired. When I cover him he whispers "I love you" "Night night"... and he also tells me in the morning when he is ready to be uncovered. He just says "Ok, Hello..." or "Apple time" to let me know he is awake.)

SO my question - what would be a reason not to cover for sleeping?

Otherwise, the way I decide what to do for my guy is I ask myself "if money were no object, what would i choose for my boy?" And then I work my butt off to make the money I need to do those things even though they are expensive AF. Because I know I want the best for him, just like I did when I was raising kids, just like I do for my clients and patients (hospice) - my bird is worth the best I can give him. That said, if you love your bird/s and are doing the best you can for them, I have total respect for that.

Probably the most controversial thing I do with my bird is let him get snuggly. He loves to cuddle (no, I don't touch the super-intimate bird spots, nor do I accept if he decides he wants to vomit in my mouth. . . ) but I let him cuddle under my sweatshirt and snuggle his head against my neck. (In the photo attached, he is doing one of his "head stand snuggles" - no idea why this is his thing, but there you have it. My sweet silly Noco.

Silly Noco.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't think covering at night is controversial. But some burds can think of it as cavity nest site, but more with smaller sleep cages.

Such a sweet picture

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This thread is very interesting to read. My bird has always been an only bird - the people I adopted him from had cats (a ton of them) but Noco was by himself stuck in a cage his whole 31 years of life. He had totally bonded with me now, and also likes my three dogs, but he is seriously a bossypants and I don't think he would be happy if another bird showed up. Maybe someday we will meet another bird owner in my area (mid-coast Maine) and see what he says!

One thing i had not heard of - controversy around covering a birds cage at night? What are the reasons NOT to do so? (Noco loves his blankie-cover and asks for it when he is tired. When I cover him he whispers "I love you" "Night night"... and he also tells me in the morning when he is ready to be uncovered. He just says "Ok, Hello..." or "Apple time" to let me know he is awake.)

SO my question - what would be a reason not to cover for sleeping?

Otherwise, the way I decide what to do for my guy is I ask myself "if money were no object, what would i choose for my boy?" And then I work my butt off to make the money I need to do those things even though they are expensive AF. Because I know I want the best for him, just like I did when I was raising kids, just like I do for my clients and patients (hospice) - my bird is worth the best I can give him. That said, if you love your bird/s and are doing the best you can for them, I have total respect for that.

Probably the most controversial thing I do with my bird is let him get snuggly. He loves to cuddle (no, I don't touch the super-intimate bird spots, nor do I accept if he decides he wants to vomit in my mouth. . . ) but I let him cuddle under my sweatshirt and snuggle his head against my neck. (In the photo attached, he is doing one of his "head stand snuggles" - no idea why this is his thing, but there you have it. My sweet silly Noco.

View attachment 35594
Wow, what a cutie! Covering cages is controversial to some people because some birds get stressed out when there is something over their cage and don't like being covered, and some birds can get caught. I hope that answers your question :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I forgot to add:

I sometimes let Pippen eat human foods that contain sugars, salts, etc. Just no chocolate or avo(I hate avo anyway :p)
I sometimes give her small amounts of cookies(only one bite/crumb), She's had naan, bread etc etc. I don't give a lot though..

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I forgot to add:

I sometimes let Pippen eat human foods that contain sugars, salts, etc. Just no chocolate or avo(I hate avo anyway :p)
I sometimes give her small amounts of cookies(only one bite/crumb), She's had naan, bread etc etc. I don't give a lot though..
I hate avocado too!
I don't pressure my vet into doing blood tests or x-rays, which I guess is controversial.

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
If you want a healthy bird DO NOT feed anything with sugar or fat. A tiny morsel of a banana might be ok, but why reinforce the addiction to sugar? They cannot use it and it's very bad for them. If you would like to add flavor to his pellets, he is on pellets right? You can use baby food mixed in with the pellets, but after a meal put the dish back in the fridge in a zip lock baggie. I understand they love sweet things.. well for me, I prefer a healthy and long lived bird to one that gets sick and dies young. I
have had my tiny Moluccan for 30 years now and my grey for 19 years. Both healthy and happy. They may like sugar but they cannot have it. And do be very very careful with high sugar fruit... such as mango, banana, cherries, pears, etc.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
If you want a healthy bird DO NOT feed anything with sugar or fat. A tiny morsel of a banana might be ok, but why reinforce the addiction to sugar? They cannot use it and it's very bad for them. If you would like to add flavor to his pellets, he is on pellets right? You can use baby food mixed in with the pellets, but after a meal put the dish back in the fridge in a zip lock baggie. I understand they love sweet things.. well for me, I prefer a healthy and long lived bird to one that gets sick and dies young. I
have had my tiny Moluccan for 30 years now and my grey for 19 years. Both healthy and happy. They may like sugar but they cannot have it. And do be very very careful with high sugar fruit... such as mango, banana, cherries, pears, etc.
I feed my birds fruit every day, and they are absolutely fine. I can't imagine covering the pellets with baby food, and then putting them in the fridge. Those would quickly turn to mush.
If you feed your bird a varied diet, with loads of veggies and some fruit, there would be no need to use baby food unless your bird is sick.
I'm glad your birds are long lived on the diet you are giving them, but my birds are also healthy on the diet I give them.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think you may be forgetting that all parrots are not created equally.
Lorikeet’s eat lots of nectar and fruit that have lots of natural sugar.
I think even Amazon’s and macaws would have access (in the wild) to lots of fruit.
living in a home would reduce the need for such high energy food. I admit.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I cuddle with my tame cockatoos. Everywhere and frequently except the vent and central belly area. No hormonal or behavioral issues!
Don't I remember a thread years back about one of your parrots broke the "bro code" I think it was you, maybe it was anasazi? ..... not attacking just lulz....

Most Reactions

Latest posts