Conure Repeatedly Licking Beak/Shaking Head

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Hello! Iā€™m pretty new. I apologize that my first thread is a general but my conureā€™s new behaviour is concerning me.

My Sun Conure, Kyle, has developed a new trait of licking the top of his beak and jerking his head erratically. This is his first time doing this and he has been with me for six years so Iā€™m extremely paranoid. Iā€™m waiting for my next paycheck to take him to the vet, but Iā€™m hoping I can gain some insight until then.

I first noticed this behaviour when sitting outside with him in his aviary about a week ago. Heā€™s been doing it every now and then ever since. As far as Iā€™m concerned, I have seen no head trauma and he hasnā€™t crashed into anything. He hasnā€™t been flying since the woman who clips his nail actually clipped his wings despite me asking her not to. Our house is air conditioned so he isnā€™t overheating and he is not panting. However, Iā€™ve recently started easing him into a RowdyBush pellet diet in hopes of giving him a healthier diet. He still has seeds in the afternoon though. He is eating his food and weighs 109g the last time I checked him. He has never had trouble getting his fruits or veggies out of his beak and it doesnā€™t appear that the new food is getting stuck to his beak.

If anyone has any advice or a hypothesis, I would greatly appreciate it so that I can bring it up to the vet. His eating, drinking, and behaviour is still the same other than shaking his head and repeatedly licking his beak. There is no regurgitation or head bobbing to signal that he even wants to throw it up. If anyone needs anymore information, I will gladly provide it.

Thank you!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Don't apologize this is why we are here!

Sometimes a Conure will adopt a weird custom, but not always symptom. I would recommend an AVN visit, as I haven't seen my Conures do this, but I wouldn't be to worried unless I saw more symptoms. Sometimes mine will wipe their beak on my for 1 or 2 minutes, (I secretly enjoy it).

But for sure get a checkup I get all mine checked on every 6 months.

OP
ShanCaz

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Don't apologize this is why we are here!

Sometimes a Conure will adopt a weird custom, but not always symptom. I would recommend an AVN visit, as I haven't seen my Conures do this, but I wouldn't be to worried unless I saw more symptoms. Sometimes mine will wipe their beak on my for 1 or 2 minutes, (I secretly enjoy it).

But for sure get a checkup I get all mine checked on every 6 months.
Thank youu!! I get paid tomorrow so Iā€™ll definitely set up an appointment ASAP but this definitely made me feel better for now. :)

Iā€™ve read some other threads that say birds will develop new quirks it to soothe themselves or when theyā€™re bored so Iā€™m hoping youā€™re right! A bored bird is better than a sick one! (even though he has PLENTY of toys that he destroys, much to my poor paycheck)

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I agree that a CAV visit is in order but that it doesnā€™t necessarily sound like it is a health related thing. However, if you are in the US, I would urge you caution in using an outdoor aviary unless it has a roof and you are not in an area currently affected by avian influenza.

This has a map and incident report of wild birds testing positive for it, sorted by date. Looks like itā€™s still circulating, so be careful!

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Any sneezing / nasal discharge?
One day my son started to shake his head left and right and sneeze frequently. It was because he got some water into his nose / lung when he took a shower that morning. I made him upside down and gently massaged his chest. He quickly recovered after that. Your case is probably different.

OP
ShanCaz

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
I agree that a CAV visit is in order but that it doesnā€™t necessarily sound like it is a health related thing. However, if you are in the US, I would urge you caution in using an outdoor aviary unless it has a roof and you are not in an area currently affected by avian influenza.

This has a map and incident report of wild birds testing positive for it, sorted by date. Looks like itā€™s still circulating, so be careful!
Thank you! I live in the US but his aviary has a wooden top and is ALWAYS kept close. Im also always sitting next to him when he goes outside due to the neighborhood kids and other dangers that can fit through the bars like small snakes and bugs ^-^
I will definitely check that map out though just incase, thank you again so much! :D

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My bird licks his beak when he gets food on it. Have you changed foods to something sticky or juicy?

OP
ShanCaz

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
My bird licks his beak when he gets food on it. Have you changed foods to something sticky or juicy?
Nope! Iā€™ve seen him just rub his beak whenever he gets something on his beak, but he has never had trouble with his food before. The only new diet change would be an increase in pellets since Iā€™ve been slowly weening him off. Heā€™s stopped doing it as of recently but he is still going to the vet very soon haha šŸ‘

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nope! Iā€™ve seen him just rub his beak whenever he gets something on his beak, but he has never had trouble with his food before. The only new diet change would be an increase in pellets since Iā€™ve been slowly weening him off. Heā€™s stopped doing it as of recently but he is still going to the vet very soon haha šŸ‘
Well Iā€™m glad heā€™s going to the vet. If something is wrong, I hope they find it.

If a bird is shaking itā€™s head I think thereā€™s usually something in its ā€˜noseā€™ bothering it.

OP
ShanCaz

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Well Iā€™m glad heā€™s going to the vet. If something is wrong, I hope they find it.

If a bird is shaking itā€™s head I think thereā€™s usually something in its ā€˜noseā€™ bothering it.
Oh boy, I hope not! He literally just got a HUGE new cage like a few days before this post. But Iā€™ll bring that up anyways, I appreciate it a lot!

I hope the vet can help out too! Thank you!!! :)

OP
ShanCaz

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Hello! Iā€™m pretty new. I apologize that my first thread is a general but my conureā€™s new behaviour is concerning me.

My Sun Conure, Kyle, has developed a new trait of licking the top of his beak and jerking his head erratically. This is his first time doing this and he has been with me for six years so Iā€™m extremely paranoid. Iā€™m waiting for my next paycheck to take him to the vet, but Iā€™m hoping I can gain some insight until then.

I first noticed this behaviour when sitting outside with him in his aviary about a week ago. Heā€™s been doing it every now and then ever since. As far as Iā€™m concerned, I have seen no head trauma and he hasnā€™t crashed into anything. He hasnā€™t been flying since the woman who clips his nail actually clipped his wings despite me asking her not to. Our house is air conditioned so he isnā€™t overheating and he is not panting. However, Iā€™ve recently started easing him into a RowdyBush pellet diet in hopes of giving him a healthier diet. He still has seeds in the afternoon though. He is eating his food and weighs 109g the last time I checked him. He has never had trouble getting his fruits or veggies out of his beak and it doesnā€™t appear that the new food is getting stuck to his beak.

If anyone has any advice or a hypothesis, I would greatly appreciate it so that I can bring it up to the vet. His eating, drinking, and behaviour is still the same other than shaking his head and repeatedly licking his beak. There is no regurgitation or head bobbing to signal that he even wants to throw it up. If anyone needs anymore information, I will gladly provide it.

Thank you!
Update to this just incase anyone has the same concern!
It was just a new quirk that he decided to take up as a signal that he is excited! xD

Most Reactions

Latest posts