Conure

pamsdish

Jan 22, 2021
Hi everyone, I find myself caring for what I have found out a conure, hope that is spelt correctly, so many variations out there.
I am female 70 and a dog lover, have a greyhound, one of my neighbours has been admitted to hospital, no idea how long for, mental health issues, he is 70 something, his little dog has been taken in, but that left "the parrot" I, as previously mentioned have since established a conure, the bird seems to have been neglected, as was the dog, he could never remember if he had fed anything, we could see parrot food in the seed tray so assumed all was okay, I now see it is large parrot food and think "ruby" may not have been getting the correct food, I went to a well known chain of pet shops to get different food, was looking for high something, can`t recall the full name but would know it, they had none available so got Vitacraft Australian and fruit cocktail mixes, as they seemed small seeds, have given her some chopped small apples and pears which she seems to like, I cleaned and washed her cage, in sections as had to confine her to different areas while I cleaned others, used a white vinegar in water to clean, I have bought some lychees today do I just remove the skin ?, any sensible advice would be welcome, I am just trying to do the best I can.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome pamsdish! Thank you for taking in Ruby at her and her dad's time of need! Interesting the seed mix is called "Australian", I live in Australia and I've never heard of it :D It's probably a reasonable enough mix to be getting on with although if you can pick the sunflower seeds out it's probably for the best, many birds will eat those to the exclusion of everything else and they are quite fatty. In addition to the fruit you can also offer leafy greens and things like broccoli or broccolini (baby broccoli, if it's available there, my guys love it!). Lychees are ok but i'd remove the skin and the big seed in the middle before offering it, although fruits are higher in sugar so veg are preferred if Ruby will eat them. You can help make them more appealing by making a plate of veg and eating some yourself, making approving "mmmmm yummy" sounds as you eat. Birds being flock creatures are often keen to join in!

Depending on how long Ruby will be with you, you can perhaps look into improving her diet a little further down the track, but I get the impression her prospects might already be better now that she has you in her life. Perhaps you will be able to post some pictures of your new charge shortly, we love baby photos around here :)

http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

(This is a subtle hint!)

Once again, a hearty "Welcome Aboard" to the two of you, I'm glad you found us!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you for stepping up!!
It's great to offer better foods snd improve diet. But keep offering a dish of the stuff he had been on before, as birds sometimes don't do well with quick change.

Here is a nice link, it goes over bird behavior, and talks about bites and screaming to.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Birds can be killed by tge off gasses of heated non stick cookware, air fryers. New ironing boards have non stick applied to the fabric and when used they also can kill birds. This stuff kills in seconds, there is no testing to see if safe. There is a long list of safety concerns...

This is aldo a great article. It talks about stress reduction, but really so much of this is great info for parrot keeping
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! Holy cow, wow! Not being a bird person, you have outdone many experienced folks already!
Thank you so much for the little one!

A word of caution! Birds are extremely sensitive to smells! No air fresheners of any kind!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another veggie that parrots like are hot peppers, the hotter the better. Jalapeno, Habanero, Ghost - all good for them. Dont worry about the heat - parrots have 1 taste bud to 100 of ours, so these kind of peppers are just tangy to them. Loads of Vit. A. Try chunks and little bits, sometime presentation matters.

Most Reactions