Crimson wings as pets?

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Has anyone had any experience with crimson wings as pets? I am looking at getting my partner a new bird form a late christmas/early birthday present and i have seen a hand raised crimson for sale... We will go and visit it after christmas anyway but i was wondering what your thoughts were on them? The other options he is interested in are Kings or Sun conures.

Thanks

Yup that's them! From what I can gather they are pretty similar to a king...

Very similar to king parrots, regent parrots (rock pebblers) or princess parrots as pets. Calm, easy going and not that loud (comparatively). They make good pets that are a little less demanding then suns.

On the other hand crimson wings and kings are unlikely to be as cuddly, playful and mischievous as the sun conure would be. Generalizations of course. I used to keep/breed princess parrots and regents.

Last edited:
I have a female king parrot. She loves to sit on my shoulder. Does not talk and is relatively quiet. She gets along very well with the rest of the birds...however, I have to keep an eye where she is at all times. She will go into stealth mode and chew on any cable/ wire that she finds...my computer cable, tv cable, phone...if it's in the room, she will find it. Beautiful, easy going bird.

Anyone else? Am now considering one for myself, may go and meet them once i move.

You don't see Crimson Wings very much in the US. King parrots and Crimsons are not too popular here. More in Australia. I had an avian vet who had (has?) one though. They're very pretty.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back