Crock Pot question!

mysteryfoxes

Mar 6, 2012
Calabash, NC
Parrots
Basil - Turquoise Green Cheek Conure :)
I currently have (and love) a G.E. 7-quart slow cooker. Something that made me go, "Ahh crap..." today was the small detail that it has a non-stick coating on the lift out cooker part.

0068113169200_500X500.jpg

Now, crock pots are not made to go to 'burning' temperatures, and I was interested in if anyone else has used a crock pot?

I saw somewhere that someone had one, but cooked it in the bathroom with the vents closed and towels under the door.

Thoughts? :confused:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, what is the non stick coating? Teflon is bad. Ceramic or enamel is fine. My crock pot is some kind of ceramic.

OP
mysteryfoxes

mysteryfoxes

Mar 6, 2012
Calabash, NC
Parrots
Basil - Turquoise Green Cheek Conure :)
Unfortunately I think it's teflon. *sigh* And it makes such good stews, too. :p

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm not 100% certain on the Teflon answer. Some say it's always bad and others say only if it reaches it's melt point.

The best person to answer that for you would be an avian vet. When I need to know something for the health of my birds, I ask her rather than sort through all the different things I see on the internet, which is just plain confusing sometimes!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Teflon is only dangerous if heated to extremly high tempretures. Slow cookers only reach a gentle heat. I have always used non stick cook ware & have never had a problem & i never burn the bottom of the pan. I also replace it once it gets a scratch on the surface.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Teflon doesn't release fumes until around 570 F. Your stew would be nuked at that temperature. That being said, other sources say it can actually begin releasing chemicals before 570 F, though numbers vary, and it may or may not be true. Now, since crock pots only simmer food, I'd like to think they're safe. However, I'd still do as Roxynoodle suggested and ask a vet.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts