Damaged feathers

Drobninja

Sep 7, 2014
My Sun Conure has some damaged feathers... it does not seem to bother him to much and he is in a pretty good mood. We went to the vet and she said it could have happened at the pet store and he should be fine. I still feel uneasy about it through. Any one know whats going on here?

Attachments

• tmp_20140907_0926381855178618.jpg
    tmp_20140907_0926381855178618.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 197

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
They will shed out at next moult and be replaces with new ones soon enough..however I'm wondering, is it in both wings? Shoulders? It looks like he may have barbered them, meaning over preening/shredding. Does he groom heavily? When you do your daily paper change, blow on the bottom before you change it and see if little bits of feathers come up, not whole feathers, just the missing pieces. It could also be from from the pet store as you said. Either way, it's nothing serious. Forgive the multiple typos :)

Last edited:
OP
D

Drobninja

Sep 7, 2014
Thanks Kalidasa! no its only on the one wing. I don't think he is picking at it, but I will keep an eye out.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
If it's just the one wing then the vet is probably right about it being from the pet store. Birds typically molt twice a year so within the next six months he will start molting and be in pretty feather again shortly after but expect him, as with all birds, to be tempermental during it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts