Damaging Macaw hearing

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
Does anyone know how susceptible to damage a macaws hearing is.
The reason I ask is me and my mate have started doing band practice in my front room. And most the time I've put my macaw (Rupert) back in his room to avoid him being exposed to the excessive volume. (Hard hitting drummer and cranked guitar amp rumbling through your chest).
But I kept him in the room once and he seems to really enjoy rocking out with us. He's not happy when I put him back in his room. When we start playing he always goes into his crazy noisy happy mood. I must say he makes an excellent heavy metal singer with his high pitched squawks and squeals fitting some of the music quite well. I could do with getting him a mike though. I would have made a video but need a better mike that won't distort.
Anyway, do you think this is something that is best avoided or do you think he'll be ok rocking out with us every now and then?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
LMAO @ Parrotlover!

I honestly don't know HOW damaging it is, but I wouldn't necessarily subject my fids to that kind of loud noise on a daily basis, if you know what I mean. :D

All of mine thoroughly enjoy partying, too, with the volume cranked up. No, I don't play an instrument. I sing...in the shower, and sometimes blast my music. :32:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When we have music cranked up, my macaws start dancing away. Good point made by Parrotlover there, their scream is LOUD.....lol.....

But I would be still cautious on not allowing that to happen, just in case as you never know. It's bad for our ears to be under heavy music instruments like that, I don't know how it affects the birds.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
They are used to the loud sound, the only thing that would concern me in this area is the vibration and possible damage to balance. I physically can't handle the vibration. My fiancé was sad when I informed him that the car subwoofer that he had for an in home system would have to go because it's not good for the Dog, bird or myself.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
FYI - They probably do better than we do with loud noises.

That doesn't mean I'd keep them anywhere close to the amps, though.

Here is some interesting reading:

Hearing Loss and Birds | BirdNote

They can regrow damaged inner ear parts.

We can't.

Most Reactions