Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It has been a terrible year for eggs in this house. 5 years with not an egg in sight, and this past year - BOOM - we have eggs. I live 2 hours away from an avian vet….so I really would appreciate it if they would stop this foolishness o_O. They all get lots of sleep and no one has nesty spots or huts….I have no idea why out of the blue we have eggs everywhere.

Tee (GCC) started laying eggs in Mar/Apr and laid 8, so we did a series of Lupron shots and calcium supplements. Then she started laying again in June. So Tee and I have been driving to Seattle for a monthly Lupron shot and will continue this for the foreseeable future. Sigh.

A couple of weeks ago, Baby (sun) surprised me with an egg (she’s 9 or 10 years old). Thankfully she quit after laying 4 eggs. She is currently sitting on 4 ceramic eggs and is very defensive of her “nest”. I hope she gives up soon - it’s really hard to clean her cage without stirring up an angry sun conure.

Anyone else having a bad egg year?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Apollo is going on 3 years I think and we have yet to have any eggs. I'm hopeful I can keep it that way

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
oh so stressful! Sorry! Repeated advice you probably already know. Re think and change set up , swap cage positions. Decrease fats and lower calories. Increase activity. Do not have sides or tops of cages covered. Think about solo cages for everybody. No warm foods

OP
Jen5200

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Thanks - these are all great reminders. No one here shares a cage except Baby and Tango (2 girls). I may need to reshuffle the cage positions again though. I did move everyone around in April on the vet’s recommendation. No side or top covers but I’m going to see what I can do to lower calories!

Most Reactions

Latest posts