Decision made -- I put a deposit on a DYH!

brockw82

Oct 13, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
DYH Amazon, Freddie.
Hatched in March. He's on the other side of NY (west, I'm in Northern NY) and will be setting up a shipping date with the breeder.

I've had extensive conversations with the guy -- he buys hatchlings and hand-rears them until they are able to be placed in a home.

My question is -- what is the shipping process like? How are they kept from the elements and from jostling around too much. What should I expect when I pick him up and put him into his new cage? Will he be able to be handled right away?

Anyhow, here are some pics -- enjoy!

parrot5.jpg

parrot4.jpg

parrot3.jpg

parrot1.jpg

Hey brock, welcome to the forum. These are all good questions to ask of your breeder/broker/ "handraiser". I dabble in this myself but usually it's my own baby zons. Shipping is not that big a deal. Most airlines i use (Delta/Continental) won't ship birds (pets) if the temp on runway is too high or low ( about 50-85 F) . Young zons naturally grow up in a dark nest cavity in a tree ,so being in the dark isn't that stressful. Granted weaned birds have left the nest but still they travel pretty well. Older birds might not travel as well but young birds seem to do fine. I give them a low perch in a good crate with apples/grapes for water.I also look for direct flights and ship early AM.If stop in at the cargo/air freight counter at the airport someone can usually tell you all about shipping birds.The rules and what's needed. About how handlable your pet will be??? that's between you and the seller. It takes alot of effort to raise a good hand tame amazon.

Last edited:
Henpecked couldn't have described the shipping any better.

As for what to expect from your pretty boy once you get him home, that really depends on how much he's been socialized, and how "timid" he is around strangers. If he hatched in March, he's going on 8 months now, so he definitely is no longer a baby.

I have a DYH who just turned 6 months, and he is SLOWLY finally allowing my husband to sometimes handle him. I can do anything and everything with him, but he does NOT like strangers at all. He came to me (via airplane) when he was only 8 weeks old, but don't think a happy baby jumped into my arms when I got him out of the carrier. On the contrary. At only 8 weeks he growled and lunged at me, and even at that tender age he packed a good punch with his beak. Now he goes through Amazon sized toys like there's no tomorrow.

So I would seriously take henpecks advice, and ask the breeder how he does around strangers. :)

Yeah i missed the "hatched in march" that's pretty old for a baby zon. i usually ship mine out at 12-14 wks . they're weaned and still very tame. It's loads of work keeping them tame after weaning.

Congrats on your decision. But if you live in One area of New York and the breeder is in the other area of New York, why not drive to meet the breeder and the bird before the final commitment. I would rather takea day trip or even an over night trip to ensure this bird is what you really want. A Amazon that is 8-9 months old can be quite intimidating and give a nasty bite.

I'm sure your paying a hefty price for that DHY, which in my area central Florida can run any where from $1000.00 and up depending on the breeder. The only way I would consider buying a bird that requires shipment, would be under special circumstances like there are no other breeders in my state so I had to go out of state for the bird or it's a very special species that I just had to have, or it was such a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back