diet advice

WVWild

Jul 21, 2019
Graham,NC
Parrots
I have two Green Cheeked Conures named Kesha and Koko
Hi everyone, I have a question and would like some advice. I have two green cheeks that are very healthy, active, and are bonded together. I give them a diet of pellets, fruits & veggies, and seeds. I give the pellets in a different bowl. I would like to know how I can wean them off seeds? Or if I should completely.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welllllllllll... I'm no expert and I only have one bird, but...
It seems to me that the advice my avian vet gave me long go might help you. Just put the seeds out for two 15-minute periods daily. Then gradually lessen those times until the bird gets them only for treats. Worked like a charm for me and the Rickeybird. Let's see what others think. Good luck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Seeds have a place in the diet too.
I posted an article in the Ornithology thread , that was a scientific study on diet. The study showed that parrots feed a strict pellets and veggies diet with zero seeds, where less healthy than the study parrots that had "some seeds" in the diet.

I think pellet diets are a little low in protein , at molt time. But during non molt are likely fine. I've been reading , researching, and I changed my birds diet this past molt. Increased seeds, fed animal protein in the form of scrambled eggs, boiled chicken, and I fed walnuts. With really great results! Birds didn't look patchy, finished molts faster, less crankiness. After Molt their craving of protein dropped way down .

For me a think diversity of food is great for mind and body. I feed several pellets types, seeds, and lots of veggies, rare but, rare fruit.

Last edited:
OP
W

WVWild

Jul 21, 2019
Graham,NC
Parrots
I have two Green Cheeked Conures named Kesha and Koko
Thank you for the advice. I am always looking for ways to make my parrots' lives better. They are still fairly young; 4 and 7. And get along with each other very well.

Most Reactions