DIY Safety Questions

wpspec

Jun 11, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
Parrots
Harley The Catalina Macaw
I love DIY projects. Especially (saving money) getting to watch my animals play with their new toys. I've been reading all day and have a couple questions.

First, when you make your toys, what do you use to fasten them to the cages? Is there a certain type of twine that's best (other than short)?

My yard is covered with trees. Is a stick a stick or is there a list of trees I should not cut branches from and offer as toys or perches?

What are your opinions on newspaper and receipt paper? I've read conflicting stories on toxicity levels. Is there something specific I should look for as far as avoidance or "yes, that's safe."??

I had 1 more thing on my list but darnit if it didn't escape from my brain.

ETA: Oh yeah... I know what that other thing was. Nesting. I keep reading "don't give them that because they might use it for nesting material." Could someone explain (or reference a post that's already explained it) why this is something to be avoided.

THANKS!!!!

Last edited:

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
usually i just use eye bolts and chain things on with stainless steel. but if there isnt a place for that and rope is necessary, i use natural cotton rope or sisal.

personally try to only use thick sisal for some things (though its probably ok with you) but my bub tries to eat it.

We are in the process of making an "atom" for pickle, -> garden hose all linked together to make a sphere shape of 3 hoops, and wrap it all up in cotton/sisal, then chain it to the roof like a massive swing, its more the tightness and possibility of catching toes that we have to watch here than the materials :)
it is going to be awesome ^-^

Last edited:

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I use stainless steel quicklinks or sisal or cotton to attach most toys. Some of them I use cable ties to attach to the cage if they're not hanging toys.

There are some woods they can't eat so definitely check, there are lists online that list safe woods for birds. I know apple and willow are safe, but only because we have them in our yard.

I line Kazi's cage and play gym with newspaper, but he's not a 'bottom of the cage' paper chewer either. He will shred phone books, but I worry about the ink, so I buy him large, blank index cards and thread short stacks of them in between the bars of his cage. He seems to prefer shredding wood over paper though, so I tend to keep more of those kinds of toys around.

I think the nesting thing depends on the bird. I won't give Kazi any boxes or cubbies to climb into because I don't want him getting any ideas, but I don't hesitate to stuff his foraging toys with paper shreds and other 'nesting' material.

Most Reactions

Latest posts