DNA sexing with feathers

Martha

Nov 30, 2010
Hi,

Has anyone used a service to sex their bird by mailing some feathers? There's a company in FL, Avian Services Center: DNA sexing and disease testing for all species of birds., to which you can mail some feathers and they will sex your bird for a fee (around $25). They say the feathers don't have to be freshly plucked as DNA takes a long time to degrade. The guy who sold me my peafowl eggs told me about it but I did not use it for my poultry and game birds because after a while it was obvious who was what. But I am thinking of using it for my sun conure. Comments?

Thanks!

Martha:orange:

I use Avian Biotech. I choose to clip and nail and use blood. It is my understanding that feathers must be freshly plucked. I believe they explain this on their site.

Thanks Greycloud--this is from their FAQ:
Are freshly plucked feathers necessary for accurate results?
DNA takes an extremely long time to break down, however, testing is likely to be more successful if feathers are freshly plucked.

So I guess it is possible to get it from shed feathers. It just amazes me that DNA can be derived from Neanderthal bones! Saw a story about this recently. But I am guessing that Avian Biotech did not do the testing : )

I heard that it had to be from a blood feather but there could be other ways as well.

Thanks Greycloud--this is from their FAQ:
Are freshly plucked feathers necessary for accurate results?
DNA takes an extremely long time to break down, however, testing is likely to be more successful if feathers are freshly plucked.

So I guess it is possible to get it from shed feathers. It just amazes me that DNA can be derived from Neanderthal bones! Saw a story about this recently. But I am guessing that Avian Biotech did not do the testing : )

Intrestingly enough, while I was looking into DNA sexing (for a bird who isn't even born yet). This isn't really an answer to your question, but a question of my own after I stumbled on this:

AvianBiotech said:
Both blood and feather samples are equally reliable and provide the same level of testing accuracy.

So, does this mean if you send some "plucked" feathers (which your bird has plucked - or you have plucked) does it say anywhere else that the feather DNA testing doesn't have the same accuracy? I'm just curious, because I think it would be good to know the sex of my bird.

I would still think "fresh" feathers would yield a more accurate result.

That way, you get a "live" portion of the feather (at the base) which should have a large quantity of DNA. While DNA will still be present in a old molter feather, chances that it's intact and the quantity of it goes down, which means you have less material to test on.

I personally used the method of clipping a nail and collecting a few drops of blood on the card.

Most Reactions

Back