Please help :( quaker parrot feather plucking

Nao

Aug 26, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot called Limón💚
Born around July 2021
Hi! I'm new here in the forum, because I have a rescued quaker parrot, and I'm having some trouble with her.

She's been with me for two years now, and I've noticed every late spring-summer so far she starts to bite and cut bits off her wings and tail. I took her to the only vet in town that treats this kind of exotic birds, and they said it must be a stress factor because in winter, my quaker doesn't behave this way.

My family and I have been thinking about what could it be, but we don't really know.

During the school year, I go to college and both my parents work, so we can't spend as much time with her. Now I'm with her almost all day, so we don't think that's the issue... We've also thought it could be the temperature? It's quite hot here where we live, or the fact it's also nesting season, and she could be frustrated...

I've attached pictures where you can see the difference in her feathers in winter and this past month. By the way, we treat her as a "she" but we don't know her sex, so we don't know if it's a female or male quaker parrot.

We're not sure what we can do… It's very painful seeing her like this, and the vet, even though they are specialized in this kind of birds, they're not very common here, they're not offering very helpful answers. If you've also heard of this or anything similar, tips, any comment would be very appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• July 2023 (2).jpg
    July 2023 (2).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 26
  • July 2023.jpg
    July 2023.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 25
  • November 2022.jpg
    November 2022.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 28

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi! I'm new here in the forum, because I have a rescued quaker parrot, and I'm having some trouble with her.

She's been with me for two years now, and I've noticed every late spring-summer so far she starts to bite and cut bits off her wings and tail. I took her to the only vet in town that treats this kind of exotic birds, and they said it must be a stress factor because in winter, my quaker doesn't behave this way.

My family and I have been thinking about what could it be, but we don't really know.

During the school year, I go to college and both my parents work, so we can't spend as much time with her. Now I'm with her almost all day, so we don't think that's the issue... We've also thought it could be the temperature? It's quite hot here where we live, or the fact it's also nesting season, and she could be frustrated...

I've attached pictures where you can see the difference in her feathers in winter and this past month. By the way, we treat her as a "she" but we don't know her sex, so we don't know if it's a female or male quaker parrot.

We're not sure what we can do… It's very painful seeing her like this, and the vet, even though they are specialized in this kind of birds, they're not very common here, they're not offering very helpful answers. If you've also heard of this or anything similar, tips, any comment would be very appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.
Welcome to the forums, @Nao and Limón! She certainly is a beautiful "girl" - though as you say you're not sure if she's a boy or a girl :) I'm sorry that I can't help you determine exactly what the cause of her feather picking might be - it could be anything from something irritating her skin to sexual frustration or boredom. Bearing in mind that parrots in the wild spend vast amounts of time searching for food and mates and avoiding predators, sometimes when they live very comfortable lives in our homes with plenty of food readily available they can develop undesirable habits to occupy their time. I'm sorry your vet has not been able to get to the bottom of it, it can be a VERY frustrating condition that can sometimes defeat even the most experienced avian health professionals. The article linked below might give you a few ideas of what can cause feather destructive behaviours ...

You may also have already read the sticky at the top of this forum, but I linked it here just in case you missed it ....

Hopefully someone with more insight than me might spot your post and weigh in with some ideas for you soon :)

OP
Nao

Nao

Aug 26, 2023
Parrots
Born around July 2021
Welcome to the forums, @Nao and Limón! She certainly is a beautiful "girl" - though as you say you're not sure if she's a boy or a girl :) I'm sorry that I can't help you determine exactly what the cause of her feather picking might be - it could be anything from something irritating her skin to sexual frustration or boredom. Bearing in mind that parrots in the wild spend vast amounts of time searching for food and mates and avoiding predators, sometimes when they live very comfortable lives in our homes with plenty of food readily available they can develop undesirable habits to occupy their time. I'm sorry your vet has not been able to get to the bottom of it, it can be a VERY frustrating condition that can sometimes defeat even the most experienced avian health professionals. The article linked below might give you a few ideas of what can cause feather destructive behaviours ...

You may also have already read the sticky at the top of this forum, but I linked it here just in case you missed it ....

Hopefully someone with more insight than me might spot your post and weigh in with some ideas for you soon :)
Firstly, thank you so much for taking your time reading and answering me💚

We'll keep trying different things then, since we don't really know the source of the behavior. The articles you sent me are very helpful, I've quickly read through them, and we'll try some tips and problems they said…

It feels quite frustrating, and I've really felt like a bad owner all this time, I still have to try harder, but I'm very worried in case it leads to severe plucking.

Again, thank you for the information provided, it will be helpful :(

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I’m so sorry Limón’s condition has led you to feel like you’re a bad owner, you most certainly are not! There are SO many fantastic parrot parents here with birds who pluck, sadly it’s something that does afflict even the most devoted owners and it’s clear how much you love Limón and would do anything to help her. Personally I've never had a plucker, and I hope some current members who do will see your thread and be able to offer some ideas for you.

I'm glad I was able to help, and I wish you and the lovely Limón all the very best! 🙏🙏🙏

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Limon is a beauty.
I love quakers.

Quakers are known as skilled tinkers and builders.

Does she have material to do these kinds of activities?

OP
Nao

Nao

Aug 26, 2023
Parrots
Born around July 2021
I’m so sorry Limón’s condition has led you to feel like you’re a bad owner, you most certainly are not! There are SO many fantastic parrot parents here with birds who pluck, sadly it’s something that does afflict even the most devoted owners and it’s clear how much you love Limón and would do anything to help her. Personally I've never had a plucker, and I hope some current members who do will see your thread and be able to offer some ideas for you.

I'm glad I was able to help, and I wish you and the lovely Limón all the very best! 🙏🙏🙏
Thank you so much for your words :( even though I have still a lot to learn as a parrot parent, what you said made me feel a little better 💚

Same for you, wish you the best and btw I love your Princess Parrot!! I had never seen that kind of parrot, and it's just so lovely and beautiful🥰

OP
Nao

Nao

Aug 26, 2023
Parrots
Born around July 2021
Limon is a beauty.
I love quakers.

Quakers are known as skilled tinkers and builders.

Does she have material to do these kinds of activities?
Aww thanks!! She also says thank you, hehe💚

Yes! Actually she gets very entertained with building nests, although she does that sometimes, she gets kind of bored quickly with toys sadly… We have like two big buckets full of different things, but maybe we need to change them more.

This is a video https://drive.google.com/file/d/120eYlb8Yybh4eS54lbklskpQoZfvDDni/view?usp=sharing of her moving the nest from the small cage we use for transport to her actual cage😂

Most Reactions

Latest posts