do macaws really eat that much more?

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
my macaws and small birds all eat harrisons

i buy lots of five pound bags

I notice a macaw will go through it extremly fast while 5 small birds like conures, hans and even caiques will go through less than a single macaw? lol :orange::red1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Due to their size, yes they do eat more of course! But they waste more then what is eaten half the time.

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
lol u noticed yeah i think they do waste a lot i need to start being more quick to save the wasted stuff

the other species eat in cages while macaws like to eat on their stands so that might be it, i am going to switch to totally organics or roudybush soon though which is half the price

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Did you buy one size for all??? You'll see them waste less if you do that. Once they drop it to the bottom of the cage I do not re-use them. I've been putting waste food to the bird feeder to feed wild birds instead.

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i noticed no one likes totally organics either but they do like roudybush

but they love zupreme fruit pellets the most which i dont buy much

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
This is an idea for keeping the shrapnel to a minimum.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Larger-Mess-Scatter-free-Bird-Feeder/dp/B0059Y5WU0]Amazon.com : The Larger No Mess / Scatter-free Bird Feeder : Pet Bird Feeders : Pet Supplies[/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I would tell you that will not work for my macaws or my cockatoo. They don't eat at their bowls ever. They pick one out, walk away and eat. Dixie never picks with her beak, she uses her foot to go into the bowl to grab pellets then eat. I have strange birds......lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yay!!!! I'm not the only one with strange birds..... That makes me feel better.... :)

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
everyone seems to like course the same kind, no one likes fine or superfine

Huh.. it never would have occurred to me to feed my conures coarse. I would have assumed it was just too big for them. Guess I'll have to try it and see if they like it!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Due to their size, yes they do eat more of course! But they waste more then what is eaten half the time.

Ain't that the truth. :eek:

Ripley's hobby is to swipe his beak through his dry food bowl, scattering everything ALL over the place. :32:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine don't care much for things they have to stick their heads into either...

though I suppose if they were hungry enough they would, and they would eventually get used to it.

It would be interesting to figure out the ratio of Eaten vs. Flung food with a big mac...

And GOD FORBID there should be a favorite treat at the bottom of the dish. The dreaded "beak swipe" move... swipe right, dump half the bowl, swipe left dump the other half. SQUAWK! ALL THE FOOD'S GONE AND I'M STILL HUNGRY!!! :p NAH! NEVER HAPPENS...

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
yes my birds go into panic if the food bowl is not full they hollar at me lol even when they tipped it themselves, only the parrots do this tho the softbils like mynah and toucans are much more delicate eaters but they will take a HUGE MOuthfull of superworms and toss it in the air then the worms scatter all over my place!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
you ever see your macaw swallow a whole grape? lol my macaw and toucan both do that they just gulp it down

My big macs skin them in reverse. They eat the insides out of them until only the skin is left.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
you ever see your macaw swallow a whole grape? lol my macaw and toucan both do that they just gulp it down

NOW IF YOU WANT TO SEE BIRDS SWALLOWING THINGS WHOLE...

WHEN I COOK SALMON...

THE HEAD GOES STRAIGHT BACK AND THEY DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO CHEW!

"Leave the fingers please!"

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Ain't that the truth. :eek:

Ripley's hobby is to swipe his beak through his dry food bowl, scattering everything ALL over the place. :32:

Actually, my dusky conure was the absolute worst offender at this one, but they all do it. He used to drive me NUTS with the food throwing stuff.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
One food item that I have never in my lifetime seen a macaw fling are pistacios...

Every other food item seems to be fair game for "Bird Food Frizbee." Not the pistacios!

Most Reactions

Latest posts