So many pellet options, what do I choose?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It would not be possible since my mom thinks I will be kidnapped and play ā€œspecial tickle timeā€ with the neighbors or something. Itā€™s pretty dumb. Like, yes, we have some very VERY strange neighbors (like our next door neighbor who lets rabbits freeze to death or starve. He also had his chihuahua killed by his other 2 dogs. He ALSO seemed to have poached an owl. But animal control does nothing about it) and we are in a state with the highest crime rate but I doubt I would be napped and play ā€œspecial tickle timeā€ with the neighbors. Itā€™s all just a bunch of oldies or snobs who wouldnā€™t even look at someone who isnā€™t in the same class as them lol
Actually, I think your Mom is right on this one, my friend. I live in a very safe neighbourhood and was picturing that. She knows your neighbourhood and is just keeping you safe:).

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Actually, I think your Mom is right on this one, my friend. I live in a very safe neighbourhood and was picturing that. She knows your neighbourhood and is just keeping you safe:).
Hmm I suppose you could be right. Iā€™d probably have higher chances of being shot or stabbed though!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hmm I suppose you could be right. Iā€™d probably have higher chances of being shot or stabbed though!
Well, those don't seem like acceptable outcomes either:)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Have you seen the Roudybush crumbles? They're about the same size as Harrison's.

Or if you have a food processor or blender or handheld coffee grinder, you could grind up the bigger Roudybush into smaller pieces. Just kind of pulse (turn it off and on a few times) to break them up.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Have you seen the Roudybush crumbles? They're about the same size as Harrison's.

Or if you have a food processor or blender or handheld coffee grinder, you could grind up the bigger Roudybush into smaller pieces. Just kind of pulse (turn it off and on a few times) to break them up.
I have seen the crumbles but Iā€™m not too sure about it. Rico likes small but not too small.

Sadly no processor or tiny coffee grinder. :(

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Might be a long shot in Alaska but do you have anywhere local that sells Harrisonā€™s? I buy it from my local bird store and itā€™s SO much cheaper there than it is on Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Might be a long shot in Alaska but do you have anywhere local that sells Harrisonā€™s? I buy it from my local bird store and itā€™s SO much cheaper than there than it is on Amazon.
Unfortunately, I donā€™t. The best we got is zupreem and I think roudybush. All we have here is petco, petzoo, and petsmart. No other pet stores to my knowledge.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I found the zupreem veggie blend, I asked my mom to ask Ricoā€™s vet about it and the concerns with sugar. My mom was annoyed but agreed. The vet said it should be fine. So, I think Iā€™m going to put Rico on the veggie blend once his Psittacus supply is out. Pretty bird does seem like a good brand but itā€™s kinda just fading out of existence. So I honestly donā€™t think Iā€™ll put Rico or cricket onto it. Zupreem veggie blend it is! I have a mortar and pestle so I could crush up cricketā€™s pellets a bit so she can eat it easier.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I found the zupreem veggie blend, I asked my mom to ask Ricoā€™s vet about it and the concerns with sugar. My mom was annoyed but agreed. The vet said it should be fine. So, I think Iā€™m going to put Rico on the veggie blend once his Psittacus supply is out. Pretty bird does seem like a good brand but itā€™s kinda just fading out of existence. So I honestly donā€™t think Iā€™ll put Rico or cricket onto it. Zupreem veggie blend it is! I have a mortar and pestle so I could crush up cricketā€™s pellets a bit so she can eat it easier.
Instead of a mortar and pestle, try putting large pellets into a blender dry for a few seconds.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Instead of a mortar and pestle, try putting large pellets into a blender dry for a few seconds.
Oh these are the small ones! Like cockatiel sized! And crickets serving size wouldnā€™t take long to crush lol

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Oh these are the small ones! Like cockatiel sized! And crickets serving size wouldnā€™t take long to crush lol
Budgie sized pellets are very tiny. That's why I like the Harrisons that I had recommended. I know they are more expensive per pound but one bag would last one Budgie like six months. Rocky loves them.
I have a mini chopper/blender that would chop cockatiel or conure sized pellets into Budgie sized in seconds.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Budgie sized pellets are very tiny. That's why I like the Harrisons that I had recommended. I know they are more expensive per pound but one bag would last one Budgie like six months. Rocky loves them.
I have a mini chopper/blender that would chop cockatiel or conure sized pellets into Budgie sized in seconds.
I wish I had a tiny blender! We just have an ancient one that looks fresh outta the 70s! It wouldnā€™t be able to chop a budgie serving size for pellets very well without either not being able to touch it, or without obliterating it to dust. So, I personally think my M+P would work better as I could control the quantity and size of it far better.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I wish I had a tiny blender! We just have an ancient one that looks fresh outta the 70s! It wouldnā€™t be able to chop a budgie serving size for pellets very well without either not being able to touch it, or without obliterating it to dust. So, I personally think my M+P would work better as I could control the quantity and size of it far better.
The 70s were the absolute BEST time to be a teenager! Lots of freedom! People didn't worry about the stuff they worry about today. As long as I was home before my curfew (midnight on weekends at 16) and didn't get arrested my parents didn't care what we did- they never even asked where we were going.
BUT home decor, appliances, and fashions were hideous!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The 70s were the absolute BEST time to be a teenager! Lots of freedom! People didn't worry about the stuff they worry about today. As long as I was home before my curfew (midnight on weekends at 16) and didn't get arrested my parents didn't care what we did- they never even asked where we were going.
BUT home decor, appliances, and fashions were hideous!
the 2010s were a FANTASTIC time growing up too! Cool game consoles, games, simple times, the cringe memes, slang, etc. makes for good nostalgia, some of the fashion was goofy but some of it also looked really good, and L4D2 came out around this time (2009, ik not 2010 but around that time period) along with some of, imo Mother Motherā€™s best songs!

I did hear great things about the 70s-90s but the homophobia, sexism, and (correct me if Iā€™m wrong) racism was wild back then. Itā€™d probably be a fun period to grow up in, with all the cool retro games and the fashion was rather an interesting thing back then. There was some cool music from that period as well although I am not too well versed in older music like my music nerd of a brother is. The economy was good, the music was good, and the games were great! Although this is from the perspective of a person who did not grow up in that era lol

Oh a hundred percent and a thousand times YES. The appliances were pretty bad in appearance! I recently saw a vacuum from I think late 70s early 80s in a thrift store (in the faded and beat up box) and it was like a peanuts comic themed vacuum cleaner? It was 455$ or something like that so I obv didnā€™t buy it. But that thing was so ugly! The ovens from then are kinda 50/50, but the blenders are just soā€¦ no. Just no. Clunky and awkward looking.

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
Try Birdtricks Organic Pellets, A sampler box, or her seasonal feeding system! the seasonal feeding system changes by season (hence the name).

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
I checked out their national shipping policy, and it says they can ship to you

Most Reactions

Latest posts