Does anyone have experience with a 2 unit cage?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
This is my conure setup currently
IMG_0089.jpeg

This is the cage I am looking to get

Iā€™m a little worried with the 2 unit cage as the conures can get to each others feet very easily. I was just curious if anyone else has tried it out, and how it went.

Charlieā€™s cage has started to rust so either way heā€™s going to need a new cage. I just thought it would be nice to have one of these 2 unit cages.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The double, triple, quad and stacked cages, 2, 3 and 4 units high are targeted for the breeder and retail markets for the ability to stack a large number of birds in a small area. They were never intended for general use in homes.

The problem that they are faced with: the loss of toe nails, toes, foot segments, entire feet and legs.

IMHO: Not recommended for home use!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I have pretty much this exact cage. ( except a little cheaper off Amazon) but I only keep one bird in it and leave the divider out so he has the whole cage. That being said, if you are just a little bit handy, I see no reason why you couldnā€™t create a solid divider, say by attaching plexiglass to the wire divider, to keep the birds from biting toes. I really like this cage and it has separate trays and doors so itā€™s easy to clean and care for one side at a time. One caveat for using the divider: it only works correctly when the cage is on the stand it comes with. The stand has a raised bar that the divider slides in on. If the cage is sitting on a flat surface, the divider will slide down and sit on the flat surface leaving a gap at the top. I can post a picture if that doesnā€™t quite make sense!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I just use multiple cages, but its all for naught because they are all out all day anyways. They even trade cges some nights. A bird one cage one night be in another tomorrow. Theyre used to the environment and just nest whereer they feel the est with that day.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This is my conure setup currently
View attachment 58150
This is the cage I am looking to get

Iā€™m a little worried with the 2 unit cage as the conures can get to each others feet very easily. I was just curious if anyone else has tried it out, and how it went.

Charlieā€™s cage has started to rust so either way heā€™s going to need a new cage. I just thought it would be nice to have one of these 2 unit cages.
Do your conures really hate eachother so much that you can't keep them together? That's so sad.
Regarding cages I always like to remind people that a used cage is a great option. I paid $50 for my cage and it's worth $750 brand new. Look in your local online markets

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Do your conures really hate eachother so much that you can't keep them together? That's so sad.
Regarding cages I always like to remind people that a used cage is a great option. I paid $50 for my cage and it's worth $750 brand new. Look in your local online markets
My conures get along perfectly fine until they donā€™t. After an hour or 2 of being out together they start to pick at one another. Primarily my sun who wonā€™t leave my jenday alone. Mind you if my sun screams my jenday will be at his side to protect him in a second. Iā€™ve always given them their separate cages so they can get space if needed. Their doors are open if they want to be together, if not they can go hide from each other is my theory. Not to mention I have a male & female conure that can breed, and Iā€™d prefer that they donā€™t. I donā€™t need baby conures. They are very cute, but I donā€™t have the time to spare. I also have no experience with breeding.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I just use multiple cages, but itā€™s all for naught because they are all out all day anyways. They even trade cges some nights. A bird one cage one night be in another tomorrow. Theyre used to the environment and just nest whereer they feel the est with that day.
My conures unfortunately are very protective of their cages. Especially my female. Im impressed she lets my sun even sit on the door of her cage. She hisses at any visitors for walking by, and lunges at them. Iā€™m honored she lets me clean her cage šŸ˜‚

Most Reactions

Latest posts