Does anyone know how to tame a parent-raised bird?

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
I bought a bird and was told it was hand-raised, but I highly doubt it. It's terrified of hands. The owner said she hadn't spent much time with it. I thought she meant it recently, but I'm starting to think she didn't spend time with it at all. My first Conure came hand-raised and never was terrified of my hands. He even slept in my hands on the way home when I bought him. It's really frustrating. I'm getting bitten a lot. It only seems to have an interest in my other Conure. Wherever my baby Blue is the new bird is. It won't even stay outside of its cage if Blue isn't in sight. (I put a cover over his cage. He will bite its toes off if it goes on his cage.) The new Conure will literally dance inside its cage to catch his attention. I've gotten it to take millet out of my hand and can use it to make it step up, but it only really does it if my other Conure is there. It follows what my Blue does. I honestly don't know if I can do it. It doesn't want anything to do with me. Only my other Conure. I'm a new bird owner. I never wanted a parent-raised Conure. It really is a beautiful bird and I bet it could be a real sweetheart, but it doesn't want anything to do with humans. I feel like I've completely been scammed. I don't know how to do this. I don't want it to cooperate if only my other bird is out. I want to be able to have it do tricks, step up, and allow scratches all by itself just like my baby Blue. I'm just really stressed. I thought getting my baby Blue a friend and someone he can communicate with other than me would be a good idea.

Attachments

• 20221102_162937.jpg
    20221102_162937.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 43

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I really think your new conure can be just as affectionate as your Baby Blue. It sounds like Baby Blue is teaching your new conure how to do things. I would honestly incourage their bond and work with both of them at the same time and do a little one on one bonding/training. Let Baby Blue show Newbee how to love humans and what fun humans can be. Allow for time as it is a process.

My one lovebird Luvie is so affectionate and loveable. I adopted Pearl as a companion for him. Pearl lived 3.5 years without human contact (other than changing the food and water) the first week she landed on my head because she saw Luvie being affectionate to me. She will periodically sit on me <3 and eat from my hands and this is all a result of watch Luvie interact with his people

Last edited:
OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
I really think your new conure can be just as affectionate as your Baby Blue. It sounds like Baby Blue is teaching your new conure how to do things. I would honestly incourage their bond and work with both of them at the same time and do a little one on one bonding/training. Let Baby Blue show Newbee how to love humans and what fun humans can be. Allow for time as it is a process.

My one lovebird Luvie is so affectionate and loveable. I adopted Pearl as a companion for him. Pearl lived 3.5 years without human contact (other than changing the food and water) the first week she landed on my head because she saw Luvie being affectionate to me. She will periodically sit on me <3 and eat from my hands and this is all a result of watch Luvie interact with his people
It's hard to do one-on-one training with the new one. It doesn't come out unless it can see Blue. Also, couldn't the new one just bond to my baby blue? I heard that makes it REALLY hard to tame them. It really doesn't want anything to do with me. Just Blue. I'm afraid it'll turn my baby blue wild as well. They like to sit far away from me and preen each other.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think it might be harder for you to tame your new conure with a conure buddy, but it’s still possible. If this is a very timid bird having a bird friend might even help him be less scared.

My Willow just flew around his previous owners house without much interaction or petting, but I don’t know if he was a hand fed baby. He is definitely hand tame and affectionate now. He loves to be pet and cuddled.

I think if you are consistently not scary or grabby with this new conure, that will really help him to get more tame. And he may watch your Blue and imitate him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Taming parrots is a marathon, not a sprint, meaning it take slow steady progress to win. Sometimes you will take 1 step forward and 2 back, but the overall progress will be there. If newbie is taking treats from you that is excellent, a lot of parrots - that is the way to their little birdy hearts. That lots of praise for any movement forward. I tamed a Orange CHeek Amazon that was wild caught, many many years ago. It was a slow process, taking almost 6 months, but it was successful. Are they caged separately? I think that is a good idea, and it will allow you to start the "bribing" process. Have a special food cup in Newbies cage, and every time you pass the cage, every time!, drop a treat in the bowl. Small treat. BTW have you figured out what is Newbies all time favorite treat? THats important. A lot of parrots LOVE pine nuts, and they can be cut into 3rds to make a very tiny but appreciated treat.

You can also start reading to Newbie, because parrots love to be read to, in a soft but lyrical way. Doesn't matter what, could be the phone book, but I recommend the "I LOVE AMAZONS thread on that forum. Lots and lots of great general info on parrots and keeping them healthy and stimulated.

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Taming parrots is a marathon, not a sprint, meaning it take slow steady progress to win. Sometimes you will take 1 step forward and 2 back, but the overall progress will be there. If newbie is taking treats from you that is excellent, a lot of parrots - that is the way to their little birdy hearts. That lots of praise for any movement forward. I tamed a Orange CHeek Amazon that was wild caught, many many years ago. It was a slow process, taking almost 6 months, but it was successful. Are they caged separately? I think that is a good idea, and it will allow you to start the "bribing" process. Have a special food cup in Newbies cage, and every time you pass the cage, every time!, drop a treat in the bowl. Small treat. BTW have you figured out what is Newbies all time favorite treat? THats important. A lot of parrots LOVE pine nuts, and they can be cut into 3rds to make a very tiny but appreciated treat.

You can also start reading to Newbie, because parrots love to be read to, in a soft but lyrical way. Doesn't matter what, could be the phone book, but I recommend the "I LOVE AMAZONS thread on that forum. Lots and lots of great general info on parrots and keeping them healthy and stimulated.
it doesn't matter anymore. I'm getting rid of it. The breeders were completely dishonest and super sketchy. It wasn't hand-tamed and they lied about how many they had left.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s sad. I’m sorry for you all that this didn’t work out.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
All I can say is I wouldn't give the bird back to the breeders or rehome it. I had to REALLY work hard with my Quaker Tony, who was a nightmare, screamed constantly, bit all the time, wouldn't eat anything but junk food. I've had him for what will be 2 years next June and look at him now! Stepping up without being scared, quiet (most of the time!) and willing to try most food even veggies and other healthy things!
One of my budgies, Hedwig, is STILL not to the level of tame that's convenient, I can't pic her up at will, it takes TONS of coaxing to get her to step and and ONLY if another budgie is on my hand already.

Anyways hope this helps 😊

Most Reactions

Latest posts