Does anyone know???

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
I realize each bird is an individual but surely with so many knowledgeable people on here who have an Amazon in their family could give me a helpful response. I've stated repeatedly that Papi is 18 years old. Although I've only had him since October, I've yet to see anything but a sweetheart so I'm asking if these 'raging hormones' that I read about have subsided at his age

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
You havent had him long enough to know for sure. It's usually seasonal.

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
You havent had him long enough to know for sure. It's usually seasonal.
I'd wondered about that too. I know others warned me of about the winter season when it was approaching but nothing happened so I guess now we'll wait and see how the spring fling goes lol. Thank you for replying

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
My RLA is super sweet all year round.

We aren't doing anything really to control raging harmones.

I wondered if at the age of 15 if his seasonal breeding cycle had subsided.
He used to be bitey but now during that time of year he is just a bit nippy...
knock on wood.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Mating season triggers are varied and some we are not even aware of. My little Amazon had very mild puberty and 1st mating season, with the next 3 pretty intense and the last 2, '22 and '23, so far have been milder. THe triggers can be added food intake (like a bumper crop in the wild), new environment, changing the sleep cycle, in a new home and more that we don't really understand. And, as you mention, each parrot is it's own bird, so to speak.

It's possible that yours at 18 yrs old has sorta leveled out, but 18 years is like the back end of adolescence for Macaws, he is just getting into his prime adulthood. One would think he is now a good catch for a hen to start a family.

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
My RLA is super sweet all year round.

We aren't doing anything really to control raging harmones.

I wondered if at the age of 15 if his seasonal breeding cycle had subsided.
He used to be bitey but now during that time of year he is just a bit nippy...
knock on wood.
I like the sounds of this 👍❤️. Thank you

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
Mating season triggers are varied and some we are not even aware of. My little Amazon had very mild puberty and 1st mating season, with the next 3 pretty intense and the last 2, '22 and '23, so far have been milder. THe triggers can be added food intake (like a bumper crop in the wild), new environment, changing the sleep cycle, in a new home and more that we don't really understand. And, as you mention, each parrot is it's own bird, so to speak.

It's possible that yours at 18 yrs old has sorta leveled out, but 18 years is like the back end of adolescence for Macaws, he is just getting into his prime adulthood. One would think he is now a good catch for a hen to start a family.
Ahhhhh sweet

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
My YCA George was with me for 40 years (he was estimated to be roughly 20 to 25 years old when he joined the family). In all those years there were never any issues with "raging hormones." About the only thing that happened when the hormones kicked in was George would get very friendly with one of his wooden perches. ;)

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I realize each bird is an individual but surely with so many knowledgeable people on here who have an Amazon in their family could give me a helpful response. I've stated repeatedly that Papi is 18 years old. Although I've only had him since October, I've yet to see anything but a sweetheart so I'm asking if these 'raging hormones' that I read about have subsided at his age
Has he been DNA tested male so you know for certain?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am guessing you are in the Northern Hemisphere and if so, you are now on the back side of Hormonal Season. Your 18 year old BFA is a member of the Big Hot Three of the Amazon Family. It is very possible that a combination of a new home that provides a healthy diet and wonderful overnight sleep may have skipped the 2022 /2023 Season.

Our 23 year old, soon to be 24 DYHA has been having a Stellar Hormonal Season. One of the most intense I have ever seen from him. He is also a member of the Big Hot Three and is doing a great job of defining the in-your-face reality of the yearly event.

The effects of Hormonal Season varies based on the size and age of the Amazon. That said, the Big Hot Three are most commonly effected and it can be anywhere from mild to wild!! Assure that you have read with understanding the Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum which is titled something like: Understanding Amazon Body language.

Since you are having a great, quiet year; Celebrate The Joy!!

What is the: Spring Fling?

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
My YCA George was with me for 40 years (he was estimated to be roughly 20 to 25 years old when he joined the family). In all those years there were never any issues with "raging hormones." About the only thing that happened when the hormones kicked in was George would get very friendly with one of his wooden perches. ;)
I love hearing this and I pray my Papi is as such, great to hear. 40 years with you, what a blessing ❤️

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
I am guessing you are in the Northern Hemisphere and if so, you are now on the back side of Hormonal Season. Your 18 year old BFA is a member of the Big Hot Three of the Amazon Family. It is very possible that a combination of a new home that provides a healthy diet and wonderful overnight sleep may have skipped the 2022 /2023 Season.

Our 23 year old, soon to be 24 DYHA has been having a Stellar Hormonal Season. One of the most intense I have ever seen from him. He is also a member of the Big Hot Three and is doing a great job of defining the in-your-face reality of the yearly event.

The effects of Hormonal Season varies based on the size and age of the Amazon. That said, the Big Hot Three are most commonly effected and it can be anywhere from mild to wild!! Assure that you have read with understanding the Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum which is titled something like: Understanding Amazon Body language.

Since you are having a great, quiet year; Celebrate The Joy!!

What is the: Spring Fling?
He does receive a healty diet and good sleep so check check on those. I love how you put things in words and always enjoy reading your input. Spring fling is just me summing up the Spring hormone season to come lol

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
He does receive a healty diet and good sleep so check check on those. I love how you put things in words and always enjoy reading your input. Spring fling is just me summing up the Spring hormone season to come lol
To my knowledge Amazons have a single biological hormonal season. Now it is possible to cause /force a chemical flow outside of their natural season. You may have read of some Amazons that have double seasons or continuous season, but they are not natural but forced, commonly from causing a serious reduction of their sleep cycle (Sun cycle), etc..

Most Reactions