Does anyone live with a Hahns Macaw?

Haven

Oct 13, 2010
I am into a couple of months of reading and learning about birds. I have wanted one for a long time but didn't want to go into all of this without some knowledge.
The last month I have been learning about the smaller macaws and the Hahns.
Wondered if there was anyone out there who could share their experience with these smaller macaws.
Thanks
Anne

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Two parakeets. Kindle and Charlie
I do not and have never owned a hahns macaw. I was once intrested in getting one so I looked up a ton of info on them. I have one question. Is this your first parrot? It all depends on that. If this will be your first bird then you should probably start with a parakeet,cockatiel,or a senegal parrot. If it is not then you will most likely be fine. These parrot are mini macaws about 12 inches tall. Like all birds they require care. They have the talking ability but that does not mean that it will talk. They need a medium size cage but the bigger the better. For more info and prices I would contact a local breeder. Great choice and have fun with your new cmpanian!:green2:

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Welcome to the forum! :) Personally I don't have any experience with Hahns macaw's but there are many members here who will eventually chime in to help you out.

It's great that you are doing research before getting a parrot, they are a ton of work but also provide the most amazing experiences as well as a ton of love! If there is a local rescue or breeder I would suggest visiting the Hahns to see what they are like and you could possibly find your baby in the process :)

I disagree with Birdieboy in that if this is your first bird it is fine to go right to a hahns macaw as long as you have the knowledge needed for care :) I find that if your mind and heart is SET on a certain species you may end up dissapointed getting any other species. Good luck!!!!

OP
H

Haven

Oct 13, 2010
I am a bit surprised to hear you say that a Hahns Macaw would not be good for a "first time" bird owner.
The sites I have visited have actually recommended them in that situation, and they were not "breeder" sites.
Hmmm more research to do.
Yes it would be our first bird besides a parakeet several years ago.

I started out attracted to the conures, but the more I learn the more interested I am in the smaller macaws.

There is a "rescue" in our area however they do not have any of the smaller macaws, they have tiels, a nanday conure and several large macaws.

I have heard a few questionable things about them as I do me research and so am proceeding cautiously.

The cockatiels though I definitely do not care to hurt any feelings simply are not what I am interested in.

hmmm off to do some more learning!
Thanks
Anne

Last edited:

Dooley

Sep 19, 2010
Canada
Parrots
I have 1 Hahns macaw named Jack
Welcome, I have a Hahns and let me tell you they are Great! Hit me up with any questions you may have and I promise to answer them to the best of my ability. What would you like to know?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Anne, I've stated several times before that I truely love the mini macaws (big bird in a small bird pakage) and especially the Hahns, which I lovingly refer to as the tenacious chihuahua of the parrot world, they sometimes have the reputation of being a bit nippy at times, this can often be overcome by supplying plenty of toys to chew on and some basic behavioral training, and in my opinion, having had a few throughout the years, they make an excellent first bird, a great book to pick up first to get yourself prepared and a wealth of knowledge is "Parrots For Dummies" and please don't be offended, there are many of us that own and recommend a copy for both first timers and the experiencd alike.......good luck on your decision :)

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i have a hahns, they're so sweet. he's learning to talk and so far says hello, dont do it, come on then, what you doing and tickle tickle. they think they're a huge parrot stuck in a small body!

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Anne. As long as you know what you are commiting to you will be fine. I meant they aren't the best birds for young people that have no experience what so ever and don't know what they have to do for the animal.

OP
H

Haven

Oct 13, 2010
I am definitely working on learning about the commitment I would be making and what is involved with care, feeding and training.
I will go looking for a copy of "Parrots for Dummies" .

To me it's a bit like people who come and want to buy a cute little miniature horse foal without having any kind of a clue as to what it needs in it's care,
feeding and training. Even though there are different "personalities" there are a lot of things that need to be learned before taking on a horse of any size.

I love people who come and ask questions and learn and understand before they
buy. We had a family out at least once a week ALL summer learning about our
little horses one year before they purchased a horse and we loved the time spent
with them.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I am definitely working on learning about the commitment I would be making and what is involved with care, feeding and training.
I will go looking for a copy of "Parrots for Dummies" .

I love people who come and ask questions and learn and understand before they
buy. We had a family out at least once a week ALL summer learning about our
little horses one year before they purchased a horse and we loved the time spent
with them.

As we do here as well Anne, those that make the concerted effort to find out as much as they can for the health, care and wellbeing of their birds usually have the least problems and have the most enjoyment right from the begining, kudos to you for understanding the correct path to responsible pet (bird) guardianship, its something that we try and strongly emphasis here on the forum, sometimes it sinks in, sometimes it doesnt, but the great thing is, that the forum is here to try and help those in need regardless, and I for one am extremely proud to be part of such a great resource for parrot (and other birds as well) lovers from around the world.....good luck and continued success on your quest to be owned by your own feathered companion :)

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
I to feel proud to be part of this. It feels really good to help people that own these animals but have no clue how to care for them. I am not saying you don't Anne. But personally I think life would be boring without these magnificent birds.:green2::yellow2::green1::yellow1::green::whiteblue::blue2::white1::blue1::red1::blue:

OP
H

Haven

Oct 13, 2010
not to worry Jeremy I am here because I KNOW I don't know alot of things I need to know before I add a bird to our family

And reading all of the links available here and other places is certainly helping.

I do think though it will be a little like my first horse years ago, until you actually live with them there will always be things you don't know.

After 20 years with horses I am still learning they always have something to teach you.

Mr.Darcy

Jul 22, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Hahn's macaw
I have purchased a baby Hahn's. He will be coming anytime now. I read everything I could on Macaws, parrots, clicker training, toys, cages etc. I have a lovebird 15 years ago and no bird since. I would suggest "Birds for Dummies" it is written by an Avian Vet. I will post pictures and messages when he gets here!!!

SOoooo excited.

By the way, I am in Canada and the going rate is about $1200.00 includes DNA. I could not find any breeders in western Canada so I bought my baby from a breeder in Quebec.

He includes DNA hatch date, health certificate, vet check, 14 day guarantee, sample of food, and how to care for the breed.....:green2:

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
my poor baby's going through a molt, he's a bit crabby at the mo. not sure what to do for him, apart from a bath to soften the new feathers poking through!

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I have a Hahn's macaw & she is the sweetest little bugger I ever did meet :D You just have to be prepared for a big commitment. I spend hours upon hours cleaning, feeding, washing, buying, playing, etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts