Does your bird glow?

Amps

Apr 30, 2011
Bardstown, Kentucky ( bourbon capital of the world
Parrots
Lily (Lillian) a spoiled cockatiel
So I was flipping through my accelerated chemistry textbook today, looking for pictures to draw from, and I stumbled across a 'science in action' section that said members of the parrot family have feathers that glow in the dark. Apparently it's a mating quality. There was a picture of a budgeria thats face feathers were glowing. Apparently they take in uv rays and set them out at longer wavelengths that both birds and humans can see, much like a glow in the dark object. So I was wondering if anyone looks at their bird at night and notices them sitting there glowing. Lily doesent do it... Or at least she hasn't shown it yet. It would freak me out if I didn't know about this now... Kinda like an alien thing. I'd be all like: Ahhh my birds glowing! What do I do?!?!

Last edited:

Autumn

Oct 21, 2010
Media
California
Parrots
PePe; Dusky Conure
Yeah I think some small/medium sized parrots do glow under a blacklight but I'm sure finding one is rare. :^0

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I've never heard of this, but if my bird started glowing I think I'd have to break out the Geiger counter!

Autumn

Oct 21, 2010
Media
California
Parrots
PePe; Dusky Conure
Woah, really. I wonder if thats a sort of mutation, or does one get it after maturing or when they're young. I don't know

OP
Amps

Amps

Apr 30, 2011
Parrots
Imma check Lils under a backlight then. When I first read it I was amazed and skeptical. But it sounds so cool anyway. And you'd have to have alot of birds to save on electricity :). Rave birds anyone?

Tena

Aug 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Parrots
1 Parrot and 2 Parakeets
haha yeah, I first noticed at the petstore when I got my blue keet, there was a black light in the little holding cell they had all of the birds in, I saw a yellow bird who seemed to have blue florecent wing feathers. I was like, cool I want that one! no wait, it's just that black light.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I've done some research and only budgies have it under a UV light/black light. Its really cool.

nvm i did more research and some cockatiels do too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5vXtWvHgNA&feature=related"]Sprite and Monte glow in the dark - YouTube[/ame]

edit: To Amps-your cockatiel wont glow in the dark because shes a girl :/

OP
Amps

Amps

Apr 30, 2011
Parrots
Dang :( I wish she would... Tho mums been talking about getting her a boyfriend too. I might still check and see. It would be so dang cool to have glowing birds.

Thanks for adding a vidya too, that's cool.

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
No birds are bioluminescent (they don't actually glow in the dark) but a great many look wildly different under UV lights because birds are capable of seeing in the UV spectrum under normal conditions.
It's just another way of signaling fitness visually, just like a zebra finch's red beak or a peacock's tail feathers. The brighter the UV reflectance, the sexier the bird.

StRiNgROCk

Dec 21, 2011
I was amazed and skeptical. But it sounds so cool anyway. And you'd have to have a lot of birds to save on electricity I think I've seen it on baby tiles most but it is weird, maybe genetics or who knows.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
[ame=http://youtu.be/Hq1DsB3ssqE]The Eloquent Communicators - YouTube[/ame]

This is a brilliant episode, after the first 'yellow line' it goes into the colourings of birds and mentions the UV light :)

Love David Attenborough

Hm, yellow line doesn't show here. Go to about 10 mins in if you just want to watch the colour bit :) but his series' are very interesting :D

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I knew birds could see in the UV spectrum, which we can't, and can see more colors than we do. So this kind of makes sense actually. When they look at each other they probably see something different than what we see.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
The golden conure is another species of parrot that has a patch of feathers on it which shows UV luminescence. Interestingly, this patch of feathers is completely indistinguishable from the surrounding feathers under the human vision light wavelength spectrum.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
That's pretty neat! I have a black light in my closet, I'm so tempted to break it out and see if our budgies glow, I bet I could convince people that it's because we only live a few miles away from three mile island! lol

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Also, does anyone know at what age the males feathers begin to react to the uv lighting and do all males glow or just some? If they all do it, it would be yet another way to sex them.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Also, does anyone know at what age the males feathers begin to react to the uv lighting and do all males glow or just some? If they all do it, it would be yet another way to sex them.

That's actually a very interesting and good idea! Your previous post made me lol!

Most Reactions

Latest posts