dollar value :(

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I was inquiring about a pair of hahns mini macaws that a lady had for sale the other day, and it exploded into a series of insults from her toward me because I asked too many uncomfortable questions.... I was fine with the price, but I had some concerns because the female was thin and I asked about vet records, test results, etc... It reminded me of a few things that people rehoming their birds never want to hear, and clearly don't know. So here is my opinion on the matter, and I apologize in advance if I offend someone...

Parrot owners never want to think about their birds in dollar amounts, so they are not aware of the actual monetary value oof their bird.

The general practice is this..... Up until about 3 years (or breeding age) a parrot is worth only about 75% of the original price.

After breeding age it works like this.... A breeding pair of something sells for about the same price as one handfed baby... (So if I were selling a proven pair of Umbrellas I would ask about $1100 (the same price I charge for the baby). If I were selling one adult umbrella the price would be less than half the cost of a baby (about $400 at most). Quality and health and vet records and tests will help ensure that I get the full market value of that bird.

This is much different if you are selling to another pet home though.... At that point if the bird is still fully feathered and comes with a cage, etc... you will probably get anywhere from 50% to 75% of the bird and equips originally value.

If you are looking at a breeder or experienced bird home with a lot of birds, the demand goes down, hence the price goes down. For example, I have one bird I payed full price for, over half my birds were GIVEN to me, and the rest were about 0.30 on the dollar. I have one bird I would pay full price for and that is because I've been looking for one for 3 years and still haven'mt found it. Other than that, Myself and the 3 other breeders I deal with spend huge chunks of time saying "no" to people who offer to give us birds.

So, what this means to. The average bird owner...

1. Be sure your bird has a vet check and records
2. Be sure your bird is at least DNA sexed.
3. Spend the $40 and send of some blood work to avaianbiotech so you can prove your bird is polyoma, pssitacosis, pachecos negative.

Those three simple things will ensure that your bird has the highest monetary value to other people, and you can raise the price and weed out the loons that you wouldn't send a pet rock home with.

And of course the rare species are an exception to this rule, but not by much.

A breeder I know purchased his hyacinths for $7000 for the pair.
Also, breeders assume people are lying when they say "proven pair", so often times they prefer to make a pair themselves and buy singles. (At least I do).

I know this is a blunt uncomfortable topic, but it is a fact of life, and hopefully when you go to purchase a rehome you'll have a better idea of what's fair.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Also, a breeder is not ripping you off if you want to trade your current mean bird for a sweet baby of another species....

Example yesterday a guy contacted me about trading his Severe Macaw (20 years old female, perfect feather, and health) for a baby Goffin Cockatoo. I told him he could trade for a deposit on a Goffin but not a total trade Across. Sever is worth $400 at best (she's a nice looking big female), Goffin is worth $900 when I sell it. I told him I'd buy his bird, and he couldn't understand why I wouldn't trade. I love birds, but to afford to keep doing it I have to think in terms of money at least occasionally...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Your preaching to the choir here, I know where your coming from.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
And of course certain species are almost never purchased by breeders....

Umbrella Cockatoos
Goffin Cockatoos
More often than not Moluccan Cockatoos
Green chee conures
Female Eclectus
Blue and Gold Macaws

All of the above species have a high rehome rate, and breeders know if they wait long enough someone will give them one of the above birds. I have eight breeder cockatoos.... ONE I paid $300 for.

Again this varies a lot on what is common in your area, etc...

Unfortunately, Parrots are sort of like new cars... Once they leave a breeders facility or home, they are considered rehomes. I may not like it this way, but it's just the way the economics of aviculture work here in this country.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
The woman who got angry with you for asking questions got me thinking. I have looked into quite a few ads now, with hopes of adopting a second bird. I always ask LOTS of questions: age, what they're eating, dimensions of the cage, how handlable they are, etc, etc. Most I never hear back from, makes me think there's lots of people out there like that woman, they don't want you to have questions, just "show me the money!"

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I agree with you on the breeder part. But if your bird is or has been a pet and you want to rehome him then I disagree with "let that cash register ring mentality" or the "I'm just trying to recoop my investment". I don't think of my pets as an investment and if I'm ever in the position to need to rehome a pet, I will not charge a dime for them. I have not nor will I ever sell a pet. I would be more concerned with finding them a good home. It's hard to ask to do a home inspection or thorough interview with a prospective new owner when your asking $1000.00 for a bird.

Now if I were a breeder then that would be a different story.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Couldn't agree more Mike! Mostly everyone gets their birds from a pet store, over pay, then over pay for the cage, then after the bird picks up bad habits and is no longer desirable they want full price for what they (foolishly) 'put in.' It is not an investment, you don't get a full return. I'm not vouching that everything that I have is free (although they all almost were), I take in re homes especially ones that have less desirable traits and work with them. The birds I tend to keep (I don't like bouncing birds from home to home, so when I get a bird its for me personally). But I have put thousands into a dog then give it away because I found the perfect home. Everyone chases dollars and forgets that they pricing out a life. I get so irritated when I see CL ads for a Scarlet that ready to be bred, when in the pic it shows a Blue and Gold and they are asking an astronomical amount. Its so sad.

Comment: Nothing against breeders though. I understand paying more for a bird that is coming directly from a reputable breeder. Your paying for something that is healthy with a clean slate vs. something that is emotionally altered because its been sitting ignored in a cage for 3yrs living off of french fries.

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
Reminds me of working in the antiques and appraisal business, as I did for quite a long time. When I worked as the main appraisal contact at an auction house all I did all day was tell people that "no, that diamond ring you bought just 6 months ago is not worth more than you paid [and is in fact generally worth less than 50%]" and "I'm so sorry, the dining room set your parents bought at Bloomingdales with wedding gift money in 1949 is actually worth less than they paid at the time." Same with your Limoges dishes and Lalique and Steuben tchochkes mom bought on Madison ave.

It's awful to think of our living breathing loving animals in the same way, but it's not that far off. I'm nothing resembling a professional and far from a breeder, but I've owned a lot of pets and adopted or been given every one of them. My birds were all free. I can't take major issue with modest re-homing fees, but I personally would never charge one. If I need to re-home a pet, it's on me.

O.

Most Reactions

Latest posts