marialovesparrots

Aug 1, 2021
Hey, dear forum! This is my first post, reaching out to you guys seeking some help! So around 2 weeks ago my friend rescued an Eastern Rosella. Bird didn't bathe for nobody knows how long, it barely moved because the claws were too long, etc, etc. Now, almost 3 weeks later, the bird was taken to the ornithologist-vet, all the tests done, medications prescribed, diet is on. The Rosella chirps a lot, jumps around the cage from perch to perch, goes out a lot, baths itself regularly and even started to flap the wings a lot lately.
Anyway, Tonight the precious Fluff produced the new sound when my friend tried to make contact. And it's me here seeking help - any ideas are welcome - what does this mean? Is this a "please don't come closer"? or "hey girl I like your finger"?
Attaching links, because I don't know how to attach files��
before...

8-FCE7235-F425-4-C8-F-8-DE5-E5-E5596-A895-B.jpg

and after...

36-ADD241-98-A4-4-D8-A-9-FFE-53-AC31-F8-AFBB.jpg

Sounds - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1__3Rs8mFnU6eooPGDIJoe6l4TV6IVk-N/view?usp=sharing

Ps. My friend has a flock of 8-9 birds already, she?s an experienced lovebird owner , however with the corella we both are clueless sometimes. Also - she lives in Russia and speaks Russian with a bird. Please don?t be scared when you?ll hear Russian:20::D

Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi there, welcome to the Forums! And respect to your friend for rescuing a neglected rosella, they are such beautiful birds!

I'm sorry to say that your pictures and video have not come through. You should be able to post a thumbnail pic along with your post. Click the "go advanced" button underneath the text box, then click the paper clip icon. You will then get the "choose file" button, so then click the "upload" button on the right, close out of that box and post. The picture should show as a thumbnail under your text. Don't worry if it comes through upside down or sideways, a friendly neighbourhood Mod can always fix that up for you. Videos are usually best uploaded to a platform like YouTube or Vimeo first, and then linked across from there using the "insert link" icon in the tool bar above the text box.

Hope this helps, I'm looking forward to seeing the little guy!

EDIT:Thanks for adding the pics, maria, he's lovely :)

Last edited:
OP
M

marialovesparrots

Aug 1, 2021
Adding some other images of the Fluff. The bird was picking at the right wing, the skin and even some blood was visible 3 weeks ago. Now both wings are getting better and better, no more picking, only pure combing
The bird loooves fresh fruits and even vegetables. Apples are a big yes along with cucumbers and an occasional carrot. Because of the diet the bird is not allowed to have seeds, though once in two-three days my friend gives one seed to the Fluff and recently he started to take it from the hand! Which is a milestone for the bird, because when it got to the new home, he flapped the wings against the cage or the cage floor so hard that the blood was seen. Less stress, more diet, some meds and the bird hopefully is going to be ok. Next vet appointment is scheduled to somewhere mid-August, a check up of how the things are going.

BEF7-F4-D5-EADF-4-B20-B18-C-3-C8-D97-F56421.jpg

6-A9-C0-FAB-37-F2-4-E62-8-B31-D0054923-D558.jpg

9-B89-E159-C8-D7-4-E68-94-EC-745857-DAFDA3.jpg

The goal is to get the Fluff to be a healthy happily flying bird that could live a long happy life around the hooman:14:

Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
No trouble at all maria, you and precious little Fluff are most welcome :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hi maria! I had a bit of a search through the forums for some rosella info for you and came up with a thread from a little way back in time. It does appear that, sadly, rosellas are not that commonly kept as indoor pet birds, but are more generally kept in an aviary setting. A member in the following thread however, username "scarf", does appear to have been very successful in taming hers and has posted some quite charming and informative videos that may be of some assistance to you and your friend...

http://www.parrotforums.com/others/40414-rosellas-companion-birds.html

Please keep us updated with Fluff and his progress won't you - clearly we need more rosellas around here! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts