Eating dinner too late at night

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I was hoping it's going to change, but it's only getting worse.
My birds are eating very little in the morning. I come home to almost untouched breakfast. I dump all of it ....:mad:....and give them dinner at around 6-7PM. They would eat very little, just touch it and stop.
But, oh boy.....the minute I say "night, night, night" at about around 9PM, they just run to their dishes and start eating like crazy.
What is going on here? Is it normal?
I think it was not as bad during the Summer. Is it because it's Winter now?
I have no idea what is going on, and I don't know how to fix it....:mad:
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
That is odd! I'm not much help sorry but my boys are straight to sleep and do t touch their food after lights out but then I do wake them early!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hm, I've never seen nor heard of anything like that regardless of season. It's not that they don't like what's in their dish since they run to it and start eating at bedtime! I also wonder what is setting off this behavioral cue to eat whenever you announce bedtime, and why they have such low appetite during the day? Have you checked their weight? I'm sorry I can't be of any help either... I have absolutely no idea :confused: I'd be interested in knowing once you solve the problem, what it is!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I know our rescue parrot Julio is a night eater. I think he got into that habit because Lupe changes out his food (pellets and a seed mix) at night when we pull the fresh dinner mix and water dishes to wash and replace. He will run to the buffet system and you will hear crunching even after we turn off the main lights LOL.

My other Noble macaw Mihijo was a night eater also. Our Avian vet had a parrot that ate after bedtime also. I don't think its a problem with the pellets and dry foods but they know the fresh food bowls are pulled at night. The fresh food is always gone anyway but the bowls needs to be washed like the water dishes.

I believe some parrots are night eaters. As long as you monitor weight, never leave fresh food overnight in cage they should be alright. Valentino's breeder does not have food in the cages at night but is only fed certain times of the day. I think Valentino's weight is stable enough to pull his dishes at night but I always leave the pellets in because I don't always get up straight away in the morning if I have spend late into the night writing. I want him to have access to some breakfast if I cannot get the fresh food to them right away.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I just saw on another one of my forums that someone with an Amazon commented that she is a much lighter eater during the winter (the bird) lol
So maybe Amazons just have those eating cycles with the seasons? You said it was getting worse though? I don't have anymore info sorry!

Most Reactions

Latest posts