Eating his cage covering

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Joanna,
Id trick your big guy by zero out a large casserole dish ( boel/ containier box) with treats

Or make it disguised by putting in the middle of some kind of ramp and have him walk across without ever knowing you can zero out a dish town on top of scale so can't recognize.
Attach a perch and have him step to it . Target training. Always more than one one to accomplish stuff.
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-969955

It used to be called macaw wasting syndrome

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
We don't always use cage covers, but when we do, we prefer plain ol' sheets...

cover2.jpg

OP
Harold35

Harold35

Aug 2, 2020
Uk
Parrots
Macaw
Amazon
Joanna,
Id trick your big guy by zero out a large casserole dish ( boel/ containier box) with treats

Or make it disguised by putting in the middle of some kind of ramp and have him walk across without ever knowing you can zero out a dish town on top of scale so can't recognize.
Attach a perch and have him step to it . Target training. Always more than one one to accomplish stuff.
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-969955

Thank you Laura !!!!!

OP
Harold35

Harold35

Aug 2, 2020
Uk
Parrots
Macaw
Amazon
Thank you Laura for your input. What is PVD ?
Yes the stainless steel cages seem to be the only ones a cage coating eater should have. Im just wondering how to shape it. Hes in a nova 2 right now which is in cm: 220cm width, 102cm depth and 185cm height. Ive put the deposit down for a cage this size however i can in the next couple of days choose if to have it more square and less rectangular....
Id love to do weekly weight checks on the parrot scales i bought for him but he just will now have it. Not even bribery works !! How do you weigh yours ?
Thank you.
Joanna.
Yes we were very worried about proventricular dilatation disease but the biopsy and other test were negative. Thank The Good Lord.

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
Joanna,

Did I miss something?? I did not see he had lost his appetite or was passing undigested food.

I know he was unwell with an undiagnosed ailment but I didn't recall reading about passing undigested food or loosing appetite :( Maybe I missed it?

Lol, I should have read the rest of the posts in the thread before asking.

OP
Harold35

Harold35

Aug 2, 2020
Uk
Parrots
Macaw
Amazon
Did I miss something?? I did not see he had lost his appetite or was passing undigested food.

I know he was unwell with an undiagnosed ailment but I didn't recall reading about passing undigested food or loosing appetite :( Maybe I missed it?

Lol, I should have read the rest of the posts in the thread before asking.
Hi shez and thank you for reaching out. Almost a month ago hed stopped eating drinking and doing stool. I rushed him to the AV and they kept him in a week and then i booked me and Harold into a little hotel to be closeby to his Doctor for another week. He had for over a week a non functional gut from crop to vent. All the tests proved negative for lead, zinc, pdd and his wbc was sky high. We still dont know what it was.... the mouse excrement i found in that period in my kitchen and then in Harolds room ? Ingested cage coating ? Taking him into the bathroom with me every evening when i shower ? Allowing him in the kitchen where appliances were often on ? The dog and baby toys he loves to play with ? Allowing him to drink warm water from the bathroom hot wzter tap ? His room being right next to the kitchen ? Giving him bottled Water to drink ? My friend living in another room in the apartment who smokes, in his room, marijuana all day ? Sometimes using the haur dryer on him to dry him ? You see Shez its complicated and the Dr. said it could be anything ? After 24 hrs in the hotel with me he began doing faeces and eating better and was, after almost a week, back to being his normal self but im tense and look at everything in my home with suspicion and double check everything i do. And then, as you know, the other evening i found to my horror he had ingested the cage coating.....A new cage is being made in stainless steel. So im wondering whether to mive him into another room far from the kitchen. No more bathroom or kitchen access and watched over constantly when hes out of his cage. When im out at work now during the morning and then afternoon i close the curtains to stop him from biting the cage. Till his new stainless steel one arrives.
Thank you Shez.
Joanna.

Most Reactions