Eating pellets in the "wrong" size

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
Do any of your birds like pellets that are the "wrong" size? Our Cockatiels and Sun Conure will gladly eat Zupreem Natural in the Small Birds size, for our Budgies, instead of Medium. We've occasionally mixed the two for a dish on a play stand. Would it be okay to just feed the Small size to everyone?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
As long as they’re eating them, it shouldn’t matter what size. I’m pretty sure Zupreems formula is the same or very similar for all of their pellet sizes if they’re the same flavor.
My Quaker and GCC both eat TOPs large pellets, meant for Macs and Amazons 😅

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Cockatiels eat the medium size Zupreem nut blend.
It’s so cute watching them hold one pellet at a time and nibble at it.

Makes my life easier, all the birds get same pellets.
It’s fine.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Do any of your birds like pellets that are the "wrong" size? Our Cockatiels and Sun Conure will gladly eat Zupreem Natural in the Small Birds size, for our Budgies, instead of Medium. We've occasionally mixed the two for a dish on a play stand. Would it be okay to just feed the Small size to everyone?
Of course they can all eat the budgie sized pellets. I think a lot of pellets sized for small parrots are too big for some fast eaters that don't want to have to break larger pellets up with their beak before swallowing.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Not a problem at all. My cockatiel eats small sized pellets too. As others have mentioned, the recipe is likely the same for all sizes

Emi&Tlayu

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Parrots
White fronted amazon parrot born in 2022
I used to get the "appropriate" size pellets for my parrot, however I always noticed he would leave the smaller pellets and be quite wasteful. I decided to get the size for macaws and he loves grabbing the big ones and eating off his hand, he leaves less leftovers so it works better for him.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Not a problem at all. My cockatiel eats small sized pellets too. As others have mentioned, the recipe is likely the same for all sizes
I would think the recipes would be the same for different sized pellets but if it matters to you, read the ingredients lists and compare them. I have seem a surprising number of brands with differences.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I feed zupreem pellets to my birds...
I give a blend of a few different blends ( fruit blend, natural blend,& veggie blend) and I have read the ingredients for the different size birds and ive noticed that they aren't exactly the same .. but there's not much different from the different sizes of pellets... honesty my green cheek conures like the larger parrot pellets...they like holding them while eating... and as mentioned by someone else... best pellets are the ones they eat

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
As long as the ingredients are the same & the protein/fat ratios are the same, it makes no difference what size the pellet is.

Most Reactions

Latest posts