Eclectus, Meyers, or GCC?

tbs1417

Mar 28, 2019
My family and I have been looking into getting a parrot for almost 2 years now and have done extensive research on many different species of parrots. At first, we thought we had decided on a cockatiel, as we found they were really good with kids. But since then, my son has developed some respiratory issues and I worry the dust from a cockatiel may bother him. So, I have been looking into a few other species, mainly an eclectus, a meyers (or ruppells, as I have heard they are very similar), or a green cheek conure. I came here to ask people who have experience with these types of parrots which species you think may be best for our family.
A little background:
I work from home, so I will be with the bird a lot. Ideally, I would like for the bird to be a bit independent so that it could play with toys or something near me while I work. We also have 2 children (both under age 10), so a bird who isn't a "one person bird" (typically speaking, as I know all birds can have individual tendencies) would be best for us. Talking ability would be cool, but isn't too important to us.
So, out of the 3 species I mentioned above, which do you think sounds like a good fit for us? Thanks in advance!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!

Have you owned birds before? Iā€™m going to assume you havenā€™t for the purposes of my response.

Ekkies would primarily fit the bill for what you are looking for. The males particularly can be laid back family birds. Theyā€™re the least dusty of the birds you mentioned. Great talkers though they love to be whatā€™s called closet talkers, meaning they tend to only talk when nobody is around, as a means to get you to come.

They also probably arenā€™t the bird Iā€™d recommend for you. For a few reasons that all amount to them being high maintenance:

Their dietary requirements can be high maintenance. You canā€™t throw seeds or pellets at them and expect them to survive.
Hormone management in ekkies is a whole next level thing compared to other birds.
They are bigger, requiring more real estate in the house.
They go through a screaming phase around 1 year old or so, and that lasts up to 3 months. This can be overwhelming for most people.

IF YOU DONT MIND HIGH MAINTENANCE, and are up for the steep learning curve, then perhaps a male eclectus could work for you. I just worry about the two little ones; if the kids take up a lot of your time and energy, and at the end of the day you donā€™t want to deal with much, an Ekkie isnā€™t for you.

Understand that ā€œone person birdā€ comes along a gradient for birds, too. It can manifest itself anywhere from ā€œtoleratingā€ others, but still gravitating to a favorite, to outright aggression to everyone, to preferring one one gender.

Keep in mind too that many conures and poicephalus (Senegal, Meyers, ruppels) can be nippy by nature which could frighten the kiddos.

In short, I have concerns if a bird really is what you need. Parrots can be quirky and may not fit in with everyone in the family. And thatā€™s essentially what you are looking for. They are challenging, and hands down the most rehomed pet because people donā€™t know what they are getting into. Your criteria really speak to needing to get on with the entire family. Are you prepared for the reality that the bird probably wonā€™t?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
ALL parrots are super high-maintenance compared to a dog, but with an Ekkie, you have to become a nutritionist/chef practically to prepare their daily chop etc (they can't have pellets like other parrots, so you really have to make sure they are getting the proper blend of foods/nutrients). They are the most hypo allergenic, but they are also larger, so they are going to be capable of more damage if they choose to bite (just due to size). So compared to an already-high-maintenance "pet", Ekkies are more difficult (for sure).

Also-- if you are super worried about a parrot being good with kids, I wouldn't get a parrot. They all will bite, they all will be super-sweet for the first year to couple of years (until puberty) and then you will wonder what happened to your sweet angel. This is often very upsetting for people because it is like their bird is totally different overnight, highly "unpredictable" compared to their baby and requiring a whole new set of rules for interaction. Even though they do calm down after a few years of puberty, they still are never like they were---and they are sexually driven, so you can't cuddle them or stroke them and have to pet on the head and neck only. No dark/shadowy spaces/ no huts/tents etc..Don't get me wrong-- adult birds are great in their own ways (but they aren't the same as babies)... So a sweet baby that lets everyone hold him whenever etc, will not be like that as an adult in 99.9% of cases (and it can feel like a massive shock to go from being a babies favorite person to their least favorite without much warning).

I promise you, your wife and your child will be bitten at some point (more than once) and it will likely draw blood at some point...so if that would be a deal-breaker, it's something to think about.
It's important to know that birds (even when well socialized) will often bond very closely to one person and kind of tolerate (or sometimes HATE) everyone else. It's hard to know who that person will be, but it isn't always the person who wanted the bird lol. I just want to make sure you are thinking about the potential for jealousy etc, as you mentioned your child quite a few times in your post. My uncle's African Grey was EXTREMELY jealous of my cousins and it took them about 20 years to get along and be able to safely hold him lol (granted--his history was a little complicated).

Your competence in terms of bird behavior, reading body language, pacing/building trust, creating a healthy/non-triggering environment will all shape how well the bird does long-term, but it is a LONG term situation---like a toddler with special needs that never grows up, can fly, screams and is secretly (or not so secretly) in-love with at least one member of the household.

It sounds like you have researched----good call on avoiding powder-down birds like cockatiels (they are dusty and they do trigger allergies).

Also, check out this post-- I wrote a novel (5th post down) so I am posting the link, because it covers a lot of the stuff that new bird owners don't consider---so please read it as well.http://www.parrotforums.com/new-mem...t-getting-my-first-parrot-some-questions.html <----5th down from top

I am a big fan of adopting an adult bird because there are SO many in need of homes and because they are a little less unpredictable---with a baby, you dk what you will get when they grow up (you don't get to see their adult personality until they reach adulthood). It's a bit easier to judge an older bird and they live forever anyway.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
What Chris and Noodles said, absolutely. Looking at your previous posts, you've been asking this question for quite a while. My two cents- rather than asking others for the right answer, consider some first hand knowledge. Is there a rescue near you where you can either volunteer, or at least spend time and meet and visit with parrots? I'm a definite proponent of rescues, and having the chance for an adult to choose you and your family members is super valuable. Also, if you can volunteer, you get some great perspective on day to day care, and how the birds behave, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Actual experience is your friend here. There's a huge learning curve for all of them, and arguably more so for Ekkies. Their diet was completely intimidating to me before I brought my first one home. Before meeting him, I hadn't even heard of an Ekkie, and he was a plucker too. I knew nothing about either. Way beyond my comfort zone, so I spent months visiting, learning, and accepting that he was the one. He knew it way before I did, and he was very persuasive.

As previously mentioned, they're all different, and have individual personalities, so the adoption process from a good rescue organization really helps find the best fit. They will spend the time with you, and help answer questions, and educate you as needed. If you are truly determined that a parrot is for you and your family, I highly recommend a rescue as the way to go. Of course, many are closed to the public right now, but hopefully that will change soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hoestly with small kids, your best family parrot is going to be a hand raised, hand tamed budgie. Not only can they talk (in a high squeaky voice) but they are all parrot. Lively, acrobatic and when they bite, if they do, it is not a traumatic event.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Hoestly with small kids, your best family parrot is going to be a hand raised, hand tamed budgie. Not only can they talk (in a high squeaky voice) but they are all parrot. Lively, acrobatic and when they bite, if they do, it is not a traumatic event.

They are safest and they are just as smart (although people often discount their intellect because they are marketed as "child's" pets and they are generally cheaper than larger birds---rest assured- they are smart)...The issue is, you won't necessarily be aware of their intellect if you grab a random bird from PetSmart and leave the rearing to an apathetic 9-year-old who begged for a parakeet and lost interest 2 weeks later when it STILL wasn't talking or stepping up (LOL)---:( very common...They are smart, so they are very slow to trust...all parrots...Someone who drops thousands of dollars on a bird likely THINKS they have the time it requires to get one socialized, but a random kid is 99% of the time not going to put in that effort (hence the assumption that parakeets are somehow "LESS THAN" bigger birds--- so far from the truth...) Plus, while they are still loud and messy, they aren't going to be AS destructive, or as messy or as expensive as a larger bird, and certainly a budgie bite won't keep you from ever trying again (don't get me wrong, they still hurt enough to make a kid cry...BUT..Big birds can TEAR YOU UP---emergency room style).

That having been said, some African Greys never speak-- it's all about individual personality and interaction.

I am not saying a parakeet is GOING to talk, but the same could be said of any parrot. Despite their size, budgies and parakeets are INTELLIGENT and less capable of damaging skin/eyes etc.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcWA_RNl1s"]One Phrase Leads to Another - YouTube[/ame]
**also-- my apologies if what he says is offensive to anyone- I didn't subtitle it---it does sound like that is what he is saying...but again, he is his own bird and he is happy! **

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Budgies are too dusty For this family. When I was a kid I never had major respiratory problems, no allergies nor asthma, but in retrospect, they often were triggering allergies for me.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Are they a powder-down bird??

I just don't think I would get a parrot with a kid unless I knew what I was getting into-- I grew up with them and I am still in shock sometimes (despite all the years). It is A LOT of work and if your kid is your priority, the parrot is going to take issue (unless socialized) but if it is your first bird, jumping into large birds with dietary restrictions seems unwise.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

They arenā€™t powder down, no. But they do give off a lot of dander.

Most Reactions

Latest posts