Emergency!! Please help. GCC Puffy Sneezes

NDJ

Nov 18, 2020
Hello, I am hoping someone can help shed some light on why Rio, my green cheek conure is experiencing puffy sneezes in repetition. This started a while back and after much research I determined that it was likely due to dry humidity in my home. With this knowledge I purchased a humidifier and try to keep the humidity at a comfortable 50 - 60%. This seemed to help for a long time and the sneezes became far less common and shorter if it did occur. Before these would last for a minute straight sometimes and you can see him struggling to breathe. Over the past few weeks these have become more common and I am really worried about him! I have attached a video showing what this looks like and am really hoping someone here knows what is causing this and could please advise me. It is really concerning me and can pop up at any time, sometimes at night while he is sleeping.
Rio lives in a non-smoking home and was moved to Harrison's organic pellets about a month ago.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and I welcome any response that may help

Attachments

• 20211004_090931.mp4
    8.2 MB

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello again NDJ, I’m very sorry to hear that Rio may be unwell. It’s difficult to say for sure what might be wrong with him, so I suggest that you make an appointment with a certified avian vet as soon as you can, particularly if he has not had a wellness check in the last year or so. Understanding limitations of availability and not being certain of your location, the link below should help you to find one if you are not already familiar with one...

Being prey animals, parrots have evolved to be very good at hiding signs of illness until they are no longer able to do so. I'm not trying to scare you, and I am certainly not an avian health professional, but unfortunately we see things go badly here far too often. I think you are right to be concerned and should seek professional help for him. I very much hope that whatever is going on here is minor and easily treatable. Sending feathered hugs to you, and all my hopes that Rio will be ok 🙏🤞

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
You are right in putting this post as Emergency.

Previously, when I heard Emerald sneeze once or twice in the evening, the vet for dog prescripted 3 medicines for flu. However, her sneezing got worst, eat less food, play less and started to have wet runny nose. We took her to see another vet specialized in exotic animals, (again) diagnosed it as flu. Her new medication was antibiotics, pain killer and something to help with digestion. Then she was cured.

Rio in the video did a lot more, so, I agree with you to worry about her breathing. And yes, definitely avian vet not just any vet, asap.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Support with warmth, turning the temperature up in home as warm as you can tolerate.
Radiant heat is best, don't use a heat lamp. Don't place a sick burd on a heating pad. But you can drape one over tge top of cage or clip to one side of cage, safety no starting fires, or melted plastic, and make sure can't chomp.
Vet visit and medication. Also Support with higher calories, like millet spray, a little cooked pasta, and baby burd formula offered not forced , for a gcc 1-3ml offers twice a day in addition to what ever they eat on their own can be helpful. Burds burn a lot of calories being sick .

Triciapersaud

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
greencheek conure
Hello, I am hoping someone can help shed some light on why Rio, my green cheek conure is experiencing puffy sneezes in repetition. This started a while back and after much research I determined that it was likely due to dry humidity in my home. With this knowledge I purchased a humidifier and try to keep the humidity at a comfortable 50 - 60%. This seemed to help for a long time and the sneezes became far less common and shorter if it did occur. Before these would last for a minute straight sometimes and you can see him struggling to breathe. Over the past few weeks these have become more common and I am really worried about him! I have attached a video showing what this looks like and am really hoping someone here knows what is causing this and could please advise me. It is really concerning me and can pop up at any time, sometimes at night while he is sleeping.
Rio lives in a non-smoking home and was moved to Harrison's organic pellets about a month ago.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and I welcome any response that may help
Hey, my GCC is doing the exact same thing and making the same noises. I am using a humidifier and it does not seem to be working. Have you found out any updates about your birds condition???

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
@NDJ @Triciapersaud Did you guys ever find out what it was? Gregg isn't having these problems but was reading it because it was the next post after mine on the bottom

Triciapersaud

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
greencheek conure
My GCC got better within a few days. I think her issue was mainly environmental. We moved into a new home and there was a draft that was going in her area from the front door. I moved her upstairs in a room and put the humidifier on and off for the first few days. Within a week, her sneezes went away!! :)

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
My GCC got better within a few days. I think her issue was mainly environmental. We moved into a new home and there was a draft that was going in her area from the front door. I moved her upstairs in a room and put the humidifier on and off for the first few days. Within a week, her sneezes went away!! :)
I'm so glad to hear she's doing better! 🤗

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
This surely makes sense!! As every end of autumn, when the fog and cold kicks in, the air is extremely polluted, filled with very fine particles that is harmful even for the human health!! Our little Pascal had sneezing fits for a few days, and it went away as soon the air quality got better. Hard to imagine what would've been if we lived more in the city center where the air was terrible. We live further away from the traffic where the air quality in general is really good, higher up in the hills, but even here the smog was quite prominent.

Most Reactions

Latest posts