Epoxy in the house? Not in range of parrot, of course.

Zkyevolved

Jan 2, 2013
Hi, I wanted to do a little project and I wanted to glue two pieces of metal together. I have tried super glue and other things of the sort, but nothing worked since during heat / cold periods, the metals expand and contract and they separate. So I went into the shop and they showed me a 2 part epoxy. I looked at the back of the package and it said "poisonous for aquatic animals" and a picture of dead fish. So, yeah. I was wondering if this was OK to use in the house. I am not sure if they mean it's toxic if you use it on fish tanks or fish items, or if there is something in the air when using the epoxy. I have a CAG. He won't be able to reach the epoxy or the metals I'll be bonding together, of course. Even unattended he won't be able to get to them. But what I'm worried about is if it's a smell in the air or something like that which is potentially dangerous.
Does anyone have any experience with these types of things?
Thank you :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Epoxy is a General Term for a group of products, commonly two separate chemicals that when combined develop a strong bond! The vast majority of which emit toxic /deadly fumes /chemicals into the air as they dry. The are commonly a problem to Humans and living creatures in general. It would appear that the one you have continues to be deadly even in water.

Take the project outside and allow to fully dry over multiple days prior to bring it into your home. Consider using a N-95 or better mask for yourself. Change clothing and bathe prior to interactions with your Parrot.

The above could be a bit over the top, but it is better to approach this from a worst case standpoint.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Jan 2, 2013
Epoxy is a General Term for a group of products, commonly two separate chemicals that when combined develop a strong bond! The vast majority of which emit toxic /deadly fumes /chemicals into the air as they dry. The are commonly a problem to Humans and living creatures in general. It would appear that the one you have continues to be deadly even in water.

Take the project outside and allow to fully dry over multiple days prior to bring it into your home. Consider using a N-95 or better mask for yourself. Change clothing and bathe prior to interactions with your Parrot.

The above could be a bit over the top, but it is better to approach this from a worst case standpoint.

OK, easy, I just won't use it. I'll find another solution. Thank you for your advice. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah- wouldn't use it in the same house and definitely not on anything the bird could come in contact with. Some of the strongest glues are the most insanely toxic. My epoxy that I use for jewelry has an insanely harsh smell and has to dry for multiple day to cure (even though it sets). It has so many warnings on it and it off-gasses, so if you use it, just do it in a shed or under a covered patio (somewhere not attached to the house). Make sure you wait a week or so before bringing it inside. If you live in an apartment or something, if you have a porch, you could set it out there inside of a box covered with plastic or something to keep moisture out as it dries etc

Most Reactions

Latest posts