Excessively beak grinding

Jupiter1914

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus parrot named Kirby
I’ve looked up online that birds usually grind their beaks when they are content or sleepy. However my eckie Kirby has been doing it quite a bit these past few days. Even around times where he should be fully awake. I’m wondering if he is getting any sleep. Plus he always looks fluffed up and kind of sleepy. I don’t know if this is just his relaxed state or if he is sick in some way. Any answers are appreciated!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I came here hoping to find the same answer. So, I am not any help. Can I ask what part of the country you are in as I am in Texas and my female that is 10 months old started doing this last night. We are currently in a drought here, so I don't know if that is causing it.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you guys may be worrying too much.

When my Quaker is out spending time with me, he grinds or crunches his beak a lot. That’s how I know he’s relaxed, almost half asleep. I think it’s a self-grooming behavior like feather preening.

My birds have gotten nicknamed “mr. crunchybeak” because I hear “crunch, crunch, crunch” when they’re relaxed.

I really think it’s a good thing. If your bird was scared, it would watch you nervously and not preen much nor grind his beak. You want your bird to be relaxed around you. I would only worry if the birds beak was crooked or damaged because it was chewing something in a bad way. (Didn’t say that well but best I could think of.). If beak looks right, don’t worry.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have an adult Ekkie who does this all day every day. He’s always done it. I’m guessing it’s normal behavior from when they are regurgitating. Nico my Ekkie loves his food mushy as possible. He eats nothing crunchy. He will even soak his food in water. I’ll tag some people who may have more experience with this as they have had an Ekkie longer then me.
@saxguy64 @chris-md @Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
To the OP, if your Ekkie is also fluffed up and sleepy all the time you may want to take him to an avian vet.

Beak grinding is normal, my Ekko does it quite often. I don't think that the beak grinding is anything to worry about.
@kme3388 , thank you for the tag:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
To the OP, if your Ekkie is also fluffed up and sleepy all the time you may want to take him to an avian vet.

Beak grinding is normal, my Ekko does it quite often. I don't think that the beak grinding is anything to worry about.
@kme3388 , thank you for the tag:)
Terry is absolutely right. I should have read more carefully—that you said your bird has been unusually sleepy.

Otherwise I don’t think beak grinding is a big deal, but any big change is worth noting and checking out.

Aha! I found the photo of Mr. Crunchybeak beak grinding with contentment.
8CBE39A9-096E-4C10-88AE-AE7630417EB7.jpeg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts