OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
Hello Everyone & Your Birds,

I have had smaller birds (budgies, greys), and used to work caring for hawks and owls, but I am about to become a first time mom to a Green and Gold Macaw by the name of Orinoco The Pirate. I am adopting him from the wife of one of my hospice patients. He is about 20 years old, raised by her from a baby. However, she has 30 cats in her very cat-y home and feels (correctly) that she does not have time for O. She actually asked if Id like to have him about four years ago when I was working with them, and I had to refuse (cant take anything from a patient), and suggested I could help her find him a home. She was adamant that she'd give him to no one but me. I left and moved to a new town, and four years later, she calls me out of the blue to ask if I still want O! I said yes, but I live very far away now. . . she said if you want him he is yours.

Well, I know the shape he is in - skinny, frayed tail feathers, never had a bath, only rarely (and maybe not at all in the past 10 years) been out of his cage. . . he is very grumpy and a bit aggressive (understandably so), but I had made a connection with him way back when I worked at the house, and in general the majority of the animals I have cared for in my life have been abuse survivors, so I am prepared for a long - if ever - time before trust is built.

I pick Orinoco up in about a week and will be transporting him in a travel cage (small, with two perches, access to water, food and soft toys). . . on a four day drive. I imagine his stress level will be enormous - first time out of his house, even tho old home was not healthy for him it is all he has known, to add to this, I will have my three dogs on the journey. O is used to cats but has never met a dog, let alone three. And he may or may not remember me... I will have a spritzer, a cage cover and have air con in the large van I have rented for all of us to travel in. We stop at rest stops and all of us will sleep in the van, so I can be sure everyone is ok.

The drive is long - 10 hour driving days. Joshua Tree to New Mexico, one overnight there, then three more days, return van in Massachusetts and move O and dogs to my Jeep, spend a night there, then 6 hour drive to our new home in Maine.

I will have a bird vet available to see O when we arrive, and will take him there asap if needed. Otherwise, best thing I can think of for him is to move him into his familiar larger cage in our new home.

If anyone has travel tips or any other tidbits you'd like to share, I would be grateful. Very worried about my boy on this journey. :green2:
Thanks and Bird-Love to All.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow, quite an adventure coming up for you! Welcome to the forums, and welcome to Maine :) If you don't mind my asking, what part of the state are you coming to?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Orinico the pirate will be in good company here. My Amazon, Salty, is a pirate show veteran, appearing on stage with me and my pirate band, The Brigands.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Orinoco, looking forward to hearing about the reunion and journey. I think it highly likely he will remember you, though recognition is first of many steps to close bond. Seems you have prepared well for lengthy, challenging journey!

Have not personally traveled long distances with multiple animals, best advice is for sturdy travel cage and contingency plan if significant inter-species hostility develops in close quarters.

Member Birdman666 has written extensively in Macaw Forum, lots of advice for living with a macaw.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So I've travelled about 3-1/2 hrs with Salty in the car lots of times. I usually let him out to sit most of the trip on my shoulder. He HATES travel in the car by night, as the lights moving make no sense to him and he gets very frightened. I have to either turn on the courtesy light or cover his travel cage up, just leaving open the side that faces me, so he can see me.

Most Reactions