Fair re-homing for a meyers?

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I came across a craigslist add re-homing a meyers. They want $175 with cage $150 without. Do you think this is a fair re-homing fee?

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Baby hand fed Meyers parrots sell for 375.00, so 150.00 without a cage sounds pretty good to me. It is less than 1/2 the price for a baby hand fed one. It says that the one for 150.00 is tame. You wouldn't really know what you were getting until you went to meet it & handled it.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Thanks. I came across the add and it was really short, no info. So I e-mailed to ask why she was re-homing. I am unsure about adding another parrot at this time. We need to move 1st, but now I feel I should at least e mail her back.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
I believe that I saw the same ad that you did here:
minneapolis craigslist > anoka/chisago/isanti > community > pets
I live in MN, I looked on your posted location to see where you live.
I Googled "baby hand fed Meyers parrots" & then clicked on one of the results that came up & that is how I got the price of 375.00 for the baby one.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Must have been the same one. The parrot is in Fridley. A little to far for me to drive just to check it out. I don't know. She wants the parrot gone hopefully by tuesday. I couldn't swing that.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
That makes me want to ask you which rescue you deal with? I know there is one in the cities that I tried to volunteer at when I was about 19 I think. I went to take their class, and no one showed up. When I called they treated me like I was some worthless nobody and all I was doing was trying to help. (MAARS)

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Yes, I had a similar experience with MAARS. I offered to teach classes to people wanting to get a large parrot as I had over 10 years of experience with 5 large parrots that I owned a Yellow Naped Amazon, a Citron Crested Cockatoo, a Congo African Gray, a Blue & Gold Macaw & a Rosebreasted Cockatoo. My experience included handfeeding all of them when they were on 2 feeding per day except the Yellow Nape. I also clipped my own birds wings & I gave 1 of the parrots shots in his chest & rinsed his nasal cavity with a solution because it turned out that he was sick when I got him from a pet shop. That was the Yellow Nape, my first large parrot. MAARS said that I could only clean cages. They said that is what all volunteers do. Well I work with another rescue & I don't clean any cages for them. But they do have other volunteers who do clean cages.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Take your time and get to know as much about this little bird as you can through the owner before you decide to buy. I got my Sennie on Craigslist and I knew quite a bit of stuff, but there are still some things I wish I knew :)

Try to find out the hatch date, where the bird originated (breeder...) How the owner acquired the bird, whether or not it had ever been to the vet, how many owners has this bird have?

The more you find out, the better off you will be :)

Good luck :)

newtobirds

Jun 4, 2011
I was going to look into the same bird. She is 26 years old. 26!!!

So to my way of thinking, the bird is over-priced.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
She needs to sell her by tomorrow. So there is no time to get to know the parrot. I didn't know she was 26!!! I passed.

newtobirds

Jun 4, 2011
I bought a 1 1/2 year old off of craigslist in February for $200. I consider that a bargain as I got a pretty confident and easily handled bird who was willing to eat about anything. I would have loved to provide the poor old bird with a retirement home, but the price seemed out of line for the age of the bird. She's been posted several times over the course of a few weeks. When I was asking, it had to be the next day too.

I hope she gets a great home.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
What is the life expectancy for a Meyers?
newtobirds where are you located, you didn't fill ion your location.
Abzeez did you get my message about the rescue group that I work with? I posted the info earlier today I believe on a different thread that you were also writing on. Please let me know or I can post it here too.

Last edited:
OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
One site said they live up to 30 years old, another said 35, so yeah, she's pretty old.

Kerry I got the info. Thanks. If I had the time I would love to do some volunteer work for them.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
When I was asking, it had to be the next day too.

Hmm? I wonder what that is about. Why it has to be next day, but she keeps posting it.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
she is trying to make you rush to get the bird. Something definitely fishy there, I wouldn't waste my time, personally.

newtobirds

Jun 4, 2011
FWIW- She is still for sale. Now she is "age Unknown" and $125.

My husband isn't up for giving her a retirement home. Otherwise, she would be in my house.

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
I've seen Meyers sell for as much as $700, so I too would wonder what's really going on here.

Most Reactions