Rehoming my two beloved companions...

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Trying to find homes for my 8/yo orange winged amazon Titan, and my 2 y/o sun conure Sahara. Ashland Ky area, can meet within an hour and a half or so, maybe more of a drive if you pay for gas money for me.

Large rehoming fees for both, they will come with their cages. I guess I'm technically selling them with how large the fees are but I feel wrong saying that. They aren't ridiculous though, pretty fair and negotiable.

Curious as to the reason? Well here you go. I just cannot afford them anymore. I can't afford their toys, proper food, vet bills, anything really. My financial situation keeps getting worse and worse, which is why they have large rehoming fees. It hurts me so much to rehome them and I've cried about it, but it's the only option I really have. I don't know if I'm allowed to say price outside of pms but if I am I'll put the price in the comments once if I get confirmation by a mod that I'm allowed to.

image_2023-08-22_154648581.pngimage_2023-08-22_154740082.png
image_2023-08-22_154811130.pngimage_2023-08-22_154855716.png

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Ohhh no dude are you sure?

Every single person on this site has a different opinion on "proper food"
I mean you're not gonna starve them.

As for toys just tell them "Santa aint coming this year" and give them cardboard.

Vet bills are a tough one, but maybe forego that daily Starbucks latte ??

I wish I could take in every bird that needed a home.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So sorry to hear this. Do they need to be rehomed together?

OP
Dancake

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Ohhh no dude are you sure?

Every single person on this site has a different opinion on "proper food"
I mean you're not gonna starve them.

As for toys just tell them "Santa aint coming this year" and give them cardboard.

Vet bills are a tough one, but maybe forego that daily Starbucks latte ??

I wish I could take in every bird that needed a home.
I've thought about it for weeks, I'm pretty sure, unfortunately. I appreciate your advice, like, a TON. But this problem isn't going to be a short term one, and I'll need to move out to an apartment. There's basically no bird friendly apartments in my area. I want them to have the best life they can, and I don't believe that life is going to be with me. I feel awful for it. I also suffer from severe depression which makes me practically neglect them... I can barely get myself out of bed, and haven't had the mental energy to get them out of their cages almost at all. It makes me so sad to see them so lonely and cooped up but I can barely even get my body to move.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
You may post your asking prices if you’d like to. We just don’t allow posting phone numbers or email addresses.

OP
Dancake

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Trying to find homes for my 8/yo orange winged amazon Titan, and my 2 y/o sun conure Sahara. Ashland Ky area, can meet within an hour and a half or so, maybe more of a drive if you pay for gas money for me.

Large rehoming fees for both, they will come with their cages. I guess I'm technically selling them with how large the fees are but I feel wrong saying that. They aren't ridiculous though, pretty fair and negotiable.

Curious as to the reason? Well here you go. I just cannot afford them anymore. I can't afford their toys, proper food, vet bills, anything really. My financial situation keeps getting worse and worse, which is why they have large rehoming fees. It hurts me so much to rehome them and I've cried about it, but it's the only option I really have. I don't know if I'm allowed to say price outside of pms but if I am I'll put the price in the comments once if I get confirmation by a mod that I'm allowed to.

View attachment 53650View attachment 53651
View attachment 53652View attachment 53653
Base price for Titan and his cage is $1500
Base price for Sahara and her cage is $700
both prices very negotiable. I'm really bad at pricing so for all i know these prices could be ridiculous. These aren't supposed to be typical adoption fee prices, as I guess I'm technically selling them. My family can't afford our bills and we are in a LOT of debt right now, so we really need money.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
So sorry to hear this. It must be heartbreaking. I feel your pain & understand the expense. Just a regular vet visit/health checkup w/a blood panel (just did this for one of mine) can cost close to $700 where I live. An emergency visit closer to $1000-no lie. That doesn't include medication & follow ups either if you need them. The medications are super expensive too-like $40-80 a "bottle" of whatever that lasts a month tops. It's horrible. Then you're expected to feed them Harrison's which will run you like $50 a month (or more if you have multiple birds) too. It's no wonder why people opt for cheaper things like Roudybush, or do a 50/50 blend. It's rough these days & I doubt prices will go lower in the future. Hope you can find them good homes. Wishing the best for you.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've thought about it for weeks, I'm pretty sure, unfortunately. I appreciate your advice, like, a TON. But this problem isn't going to be a short term one, and I'll need to move out to an apartment. There's basically no bird friendly apartments in my area. I want them to have the best life they can, and I don't believe that life is going to be with me. I feel awful for it. I also suffer from severe depression which makes me practically neglect them... I can barely get myself out of bed, and haven't had the mental energy to get them out of their cages almost at all. It makes me so sad to see them so lonely and cooped up but I can barely even get my body to move.
I feel your pain. You obviously love your birds, but I think you are doing the right thing rehoming them. You don't need the stress of trying to keep your parrots quiet in an apartment.
Parrots as you know very well are not just expensive to care for properly, they are very high maintenance emotionally, and you need to spend your energies working on your personal happiness which is very challenging when suffering from depression, which saps any energy you have. Plus the guilt you feel when neglecting them compounds anxiety and depression. Work on finding them both good homes then breathe a sigh of relief that your birds are going to have good lives and you have two fewer sources of stress in your life.
Maybe in the future when your mental health, financial status and living situation all improve you can reintroduce birds into your life.
Best wishes!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Base price for Titan and his cage is $1500
Base price for Sahara and her cage is $700
both prices very negotiable. I'm really bad at pricing so for all i know these prices could be ridiculous. These aren't supposed to be typical adoption fee prices, as I guess I'm technically selling them. My family can't afford our bills and we are in a LOT of debt right now, so we really need money.
The prices sound very reasonable to me. Parrots are expensive as are good cages. Don't let anyone convince you that since you are selling "used birds" (I know- ridiculous) you should give them away or ask for a nominal amount.
With mature birds, you know what you are getting. Baby birds don't all grow up to be wonderful companions and then there's puberty that can turn cuddly babies (all young baby birds are adorable love bugs) into a raging teenage dinosaurs! That's when many people give up and re-home.
Just look at your precious babies perching on your hands, all calm and happy! What's not to love about them? And they're gorgeous! And they are PRE-TAMED! That's worth A LOT! I would spend the time you have left with them working on their good behaviors and minimizing bad ones as to impress potential buyers. Hopefully they aren't too fearful of strangers. If a potential buyer visits with them and they will perch on their hands, you will have a sale, mark my words. Everyone wants birds that will perch on them.
Anyone who is serious about owning a Sun conure or an Amazon should be willing and able to pay your price. If not, they can't afford to own these high maintenance birds and wouldn't be able to provide them with the proper care they need to thrive. You don't want your birds to be adopted by another person who can't afford to keep them or is too cheap to (even worse).

Most Reactions

Latest posts