Fatty liver disease - birdie bread?

Kujen

Feb 24, 2021
My budgie has fatty liver disease. The vet prescribed an omega 3 supplement that I give him daily via oral syringe. But it is so stressful grabbing him every day. He mentioned I could try putting it on birdie bread and getting him to eat it.

Iā€™ve never made birdie bread before. I was looking into getting the Harrisonā€™s prepackaged stuff. I was thinking of getting the Omega version, which has added flax chia and quinoa seeds. Is that a good idea? Also, what oil should I add to it? I was thinking red palm fruit oil, but some people say itā€™s a bad fat for birds who are overweight or have liver disease.

I am finding it very hard to determine what I should be feeding him as some people say fat is bad for birds with liver disease, while on the other hand people like my vet recommend omega 3 fatty acids to help it.

He currently eats a seed mix with Zupreem fruit pellets.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A diagnosed case of FLD requires significant action to enhance health and prolong life. Birdie bread is an excellent method to feed ordinarily ignored or disliked ingredients. You'll find some excellent mixes or bake your own. My flock loves this recipe, you can change it up depending on available ingredients: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/65841-poppy-s-jolly-jungle-bread.html

Unfamiliar with budgie dietary needs so don't want to suggest eliminating seeds! (some species thrive with them) Zupreem Fruit Pellets are well liked by most birds as they contain a lot of corn and sugars. Not the best nor worst pellet imo. Birds can be fickle and hard to please, hence the notion of "the best pellet is the one your bird will eat."

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't cook the oil in the bread...I would make the bread and then add the oil to the bread. Heating it will change the chemical structure of the oil. I wonder why he is giving him omegas with fatty liver-- never heard of that but it could be a thing...Just seems odd to give a bird oil when he has a fatty liver.

Did the vet mention milk thistle or anything else?
Is this an exotics vet, regular vet or certified avian vet?

Be careful not to give your bird too many empty calories/fats and also, you may want to be careful with giving too much protein, as that can also be hard on the liver.

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Mix the oil with the seed every day, thats the best way to administer any sort of oil in my opinion

OP
K

Kujen

Feb 24, 2021
I wouldn't cook the oil in the bread...I would make the bread and then add the oil to the bread. Heating it will change the chemical structure of the oil. I wonder why he is giving him omegas with fatty liver-- never heard of that but it could be a thing...Just seems odd to give a bird oil when he has a fatty liver.

Did the vet mention milk thistle or anything else?
Is this an exotics vet, regular vet or certified avian vet?

Be careful not to give your bird too many empty calories/fats and also, you may want to be careful with giving too much protein, as that can also be hard on the liver.

The oil prescribed is a fatty acid supplement called VetOmega, mixed with something called Hepasil. Itā€™s supposed to help with fat metabolism. I am confused about giving a bird with a bad liver any fats, but apparently some fats are good for it like omega 3. I donā€™t know if itā€™s helping as his cholesterol is still high, and his liver values are too. I give milk thistle drops in his water.

The oil that would be baked into the bread is a different oil, the Harrisonā€™s birdie bread instructions say to add eggs, oil, and water. So Iā€™m just wondering which oil is best, if red palm fruit oil would be good or should I try something else. The reason I want to make the bread is so I can put drops of the medicine on it, instead of grabbing him and forcing it via oral syringe.

The vet does exotics and avian. I donā€™t know if heā€™s certified.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Just sop the oil up with the bread if it is the same that you would be giving uncooked (orally). If you cook a vitamin, it changes (oil or other).

If you do milk thistle, I'd avoid putting it (or anything) in water, as it can make them drink less, it is possible to see how much they are getting, and additives to the water can accelerate bacterial growth.

Hepa makes me think of hepatic, which does relate to the liver--so it may be a special mixture.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
...The oil that would be baked into the bread is a different oil, the Harrisonā€™s birdie bread instructions say to add eggs, oil, and water. So Iā€™m just wondering which oil is best, if red palm fruit oil would be good or should I try something else. The reason I want to make the bread is so I can put drops of the medicine on it, instead of grabbing him and forcing it via oral syringe...[/QUOTE]

For the birdie bread, stew enough apples (apple sauce) as replacement for the oil, or buy organic sugar free apple sauce. Try 3/4 C apple sauce to 1 C oil ratio and reduce cooking time. Experiment with part mashed pumpkin, sweet potato and part apple sauce. Have fun.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
For the birdie bread, stew enough apples (apple sauce) as replacement for the oil, or buy organic sugar free apple sauce. Try 3/4 C apple sauce to 1 C oil ratio and reduce cooking time. Experiment with part mashed pumpkin, sweet potato and part apple sauce. Have fun.

I always substitute no-added sugar applesauce for 1/2 the oil with baked goods. Cannot really notice the difference!

Most Reactions

Latest posts