Feather concern

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
Yellow sided green cheek conure
Been noticing her feathers are turning black on the tips & not sure what's causing it.

Her diet is fine I think? She eats mixed fruits in the mornings, then lafebers avicakes for breakfast/lunch then a vege chop mixed with a little zupreem pasta blend pellets for dinner & when she's done with that she gets 2 Nutriberries with a little more avicakes for the rest of the night until bed. I follow the feeding instructions on the bags of food too. She eats every time we feed her & not just a little.. She goes HAM. She goes to bed at 9 pm & wakes up at 9 am. She WILL NOT go to bed any earlier & wakes up the same time every morning.

She acts perfectly normal, poops are normal, doesn't seem to stress about anything (besides not getting enough scritches lol)

she's a very affectionate birb & always wants cuddles & scritches. She loves laying on her back in our hands, crawling through our hoodies. She also sleeps in a triangle happy hut that I made her every night. Is this possibly from the oils on our hands & her roughing around her cage?

We recently went to a CAV & he said she was perfectly fine & healthy & that she's just rough on her feathers cause she's young & doesn't know any better.. we are new bird parents & are trying to do everything right for her & hoping there isn't something wrong.
20220106_181813_400x400.jpg

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Honestly she looks fine to me...? And if the vet said she's fine, odds are, she is. But someone with more GCC experience can help you.

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
Honestly she looks fine to me...? And if the vet said she's fine, odds are, she is. But someone with more GCC experience can help you.
She probably is, we just worry 🥲 she's only 5 months old & we have had her a little over a month. She's also going through her first molt, so not sure if that could be a reason too.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Been noticing her feathers are turning black on the tips & not sure what's causing it.

Her diet is fine I think? She eats mixed fruits in the mornings, then lafebers avicakes for breakfast/lunch then a vege chop mixed with a little zupreem pasta blend pellets for dinner & when she's done with that she gets 2 Nutriberries with a little more avicakes for the rest of the night until bed. I follow the feeding instructions on the bags of food too. She eats every time we feed her & not just a little.. She goes HAM. She goes to bed at 9 pm & wakes up at 9 am. She WILL NOT go to bed any earlier & wakes up the same time every morning.

She acts perfectly normal, poops are normal, doesn't seem to stress about anything (besides not getting enough scritches lol)

she's a very affectionate birb & always wants cuddles & scritches. She loves laying on her back in our hands, crawling through our hoodies. She also sleeps in a triangle happy hut that I made her every night. Is this possibly from the oils on our hands & her roughing around her cage?

We recently went to a CAV & he said she was perfectly fine & healthy & that she's just rough on her feathers cause she's young & doesn't know any better.. we are new bird parents & are trying to do everything right for her & hoping there isn't something wrong.
View attachment 33842
Hi, I don't own GCCs, but I'd recommend switching her over to an healthier pellet brand such as Harrisons or Tops, because Zupreem pellets(incl. PastaBlend) Contains fillers, unhealthy and potentially harmful ingredients, such as Corn, soybeans, wheat(all of which are fillers) and even sugar!(very bad for them) as for the avicakes, they are unhealthy and should only be used as treats, Nutriberries too are better as treats. Fruits are safer to use only once or twice a week because they are high in sugars. Unlike what most people say, veggies are supposed to be the base of a bird's diet. Chop shouls be made with at least 3 leafy greens and three other coloured veggies(example: orange, red, yellow). When transitioning her to a healthy diets, to it over a period of 1-2 weeks so it wont be so stressful for her. If you have any question please ask me, I'd be happy to help `:) Here are some video links about diet

I hope this helps!

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
Hi, I don't own GCCs, but I'd recommend switching her over to an healthier pellet brand such as Harrisons or Tops, because Zupreem pellets(incl. PastaBlend) Contains fillers, unhealthy and potentially harmful ingredients, such as Corn, soybeans, wheat(all of which are fillers) and even sugar!(very bad for them) as for the avicakes, they are unhealthy and should only be used as treats, Nutriberries too are better as treats. Fruits are safer to use only once or twice a week because they are high in sugars. Unlike what most people say, veggies are supposed to be the base of a bird's diet. Chop shouls be made with at least 3 leafy greens and three other coloured veggies(example: orange, red, yellow). When transitioning her to a healthy diets, to it over a period of 1-2 weeks so it wont be so stressful for her. If you have any question please ask me, I'd be happy to help `:) Here are some video links about diet

I hope this helps!
Oh dang, I thought we had her diet figured out 🥲 thank you for the reply, we'll slowly start transitioning her & hopefully that fixes her feathers!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Oh dang, I thought we had her diet figured out 🥲 thank you for the reply, we'll slowly start transitioning her & hopefully that fixes her feathers!
It's ok to make mistakes! I've made a lot of bird care mistakes in the past. I'm also busy changing my birds diet to a healthier one😊

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
I ordered some Tops pellets just now, hopefully they'll be here soon! She's been going to town on vege chop today. Haven't gave her any avicakes or Nutriberries today, will only start giving those to her as treats! Would you recommend not giving her any of the zupreem until the tops pellets arrive? Or should I still give her just a little? Again, thank you for your replies! Very helpful

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think nutriberries abd avi cakes are fine. I feed them
Lafeber is a good company and dedicated to nutrition.

This baby is how old? Very small abd wing feathers and tail not feather in yet?

Feathers won't recover till new ones are molted in.

The all fruit in morning I would change, fruit only 10-12 % of diet. To much fruit to much sugar.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I ordered some Tops pellets just now, hopefully they'll be here soon! She's been going to town on vege chop today. Haven't gave her any avicakes or Nutriberries today, will only start giving those to her as treats! Would you recommend not giving her any of the zupreem until the tops pellets arrive? Or should I still give her just a little? Again, thank you for your replies! Very helpful
Hi, keep her on her original diet for now till the TOP's arrive, and then slowly start transitioning her to a healther one :)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

The all fruit in morning I would change, fruit only 10-12 % of diet. To much fruit to much sugar.
avicakes and nutriberries are OK but shouldn't be a big part of the diet, best do give them occasionally or as treats:)

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots

She's 5 months old, we got her from a breeder in wichita kansas. Her flying feathers were clipped prior to us getting her. Her tailfeathers are grown, just not shown in the picture! She's definitely not stunted.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Great pic! Guess that first one the angle was weird. Is that first picture recently or from before?
How much does she weigh?

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
Great pic! Guess that first one the angle was weird.
How much dies she weigh?
Yeah in that photo her tailfeathers get cropped out, so it makes her kinda look like she doesn't have any haha. She weighs 63.5 grams at the moment 😊

Most Reactions