Feel bad, but I think I need to sell FeeBee.

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
So I've had FeeBee, my 15 yr. old Blue Fronted Amazon since January. Despite all my best efforts at making friends with him, he wants nothing to do with me. To the point of trying to bite and lunge at me all the time.

I've read everything I could on Barbara Heidenrich's books, bought her DVD's, bought and read lots of Sally Blanchard's books and ebooks. I've tried to follow everything they said to do and nothing helps.

FeeBee has chosen my 8 yr. old son as his 'human mate' and I am simply not tolerated by him. Unfortunately, I'm the one who has to feed him and change out his toys and clean his cage.

I've tried winning his trust by being the treat dispenser and only giving him his favorite treats (walnuts, pistachios, etc) for good behavior. If I try to offer them by hand he will touch his beak to the treat and then (as fast as lightning) will quickly reach his head around to bite my hand. I've tried offering them for doing tricks like turn around or big wings by using a bowl. Again, he pretends to be going for the treat and then reaches under the bowl to try to bite. Even if he is in the cage and I walk by and put one in his bowl through the cage bars (without even opening the cage) he will lunge and strike the bars to try to get me.

I've tried taking him to a 'neutral room' and working with him away from the cage. This has resulted in him jumping off his perch at me while moving him (and his wings are clipped) and usually falling to the floor.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. I don't expect a cuddly bird from a zon. But I'm just tired of getting bit and having him lunge at me if I get within 2 feet of him. I'd just like some civilized behavior. I can't even get him stick trained when he doesn't want treats from me. I've even tried training him when I know he is still a bit hungry (not starving) hoping that he would be food motivated, but no luck.

I do have a couple of ads up for him right now but only had one lady contact me. When she found out he was cage territorial with everyone except my son, she changed her mind. She said that she has an orange wing who doesn't like her but doesn't try to bite her either. That's kinda the best situation that I was hoping for. After talking to me for a while, she felt that it sounds like he prefers men to women. His first owner (and longest home) was a man and then he went to homes with women. Even though my son is only 8, she felt it proves that he prefers men. Could she be right?

I was told that my mitred conure preferred men when I got him at the age of 12 years old. He had lived with a man for 10 years of his life, but I've only noticed him to be a "one person bird" - unless someone takes the time to befriend him. Guess I got lucky with him.

I would urge you to give him more time, or if your son is responsible and FeeBee can be trusted with your son, then allow FeeBee to be your sons bird. Otherwise, from the sounds of it, see if you can find an owner that FeeBee takes to immediately and who can care for him for several years to come, but if things don't work out, that you'd be willing to take him back.

I would love to offer more advice, but I'm not sure what advice I could try offering that hasn't already been tried.

So sad!
I cant give you more advice then, follow your heart.
Can you see a life without him? And can your son handle him well?
If you let him stay as your sons bird, and perhaps get a bird for yourself?

I am so sorry things are not working out for you and Feebee:( Unfortunately, Zons can bond with one Person and there does not seem to be anything you can do to change this situation! Codie will only tolerate me.... she also took a shine to my Mum when she came to visit, but apart from us 2, she will not tolerate any other person at all.

Maybe, as Eloy has said.. if your Son can handle him well then try and get him to train him and give him treats etc .

Sorry I am not able to give you anymore advice than what you have already been given and tried:(

Kelly

We went through something quite similar with our Orange Winged Amazon Spike, as she was a rehome and had a lot of issues, no one not even her breeder could sort her out, but we have!

Firstly Amazon's are not one person birds, they can bond with the whole family. However, they are body language experts and can also take dislikes to the stranges things. Spike lets me tickle her all day long, but if I'm wearing a leather jacket, she'll try to bite me. Maybe a link to her history?

The biggest thing that will make a difference is diet and you will start to notice everytime you see a post from me I will be harping on about it. Within 1 week of changing Spike's diet we eliminated 50% of her behavioural problems.

Change the diet today! Organic Pellets, once a day boil up some fresh vegetables carrots, broccoli, peppers etc. melt a little cheese on it. Once a day give some fresh fruit, apples are spikes favourite at the moment. Don't feed your bird any seed, that is like giving your child cake all day. You can use nuts though as a reward for good behaviour. Make your bird earn the treats.

Also does it have enough destructable toys, we give Spike the cardboard tubes from toilet tissue or kitchen roll. She will spend all day ripping those apart and loves every minute. Channel the energy.

Every time your bird is nice to you give them a little nut. Do this before feeding time, whilst they are a little hungry, they'll do anything for that nut. When the bird misbehaves, leave the room immediately. no fuss, no shouting. When Feebee calms down, come back in full of praise and give a treat.

Hope this helps, I have a whole bag of other tricks once you've tried those.

What I find helps with all aggressive birds I've owned (all them actually started off aggressive, except a goffin cockatoo, lol) is to ignore the bite. DOn't flinch, don't yelp, don't scold, don't walk away, just pretend it didn't happen. Works wonders, takes forever to get used to the pain enough to ignore it, biut I've been dealing with parrots since I was 8, so I've been used to it lol. But trust me the bite gets softer and within two to three weeks the biting should cease. They bite to get a reaction- whether it's jsst a cruel game, to get a treat or food, or to get you away. They know it controls you. If you prove that it doesn't they give up.

Oh and if you can dedicate a roo or section off a part of the house to be bird safe, keep him in a stand if you can and nix the cage. We did that with Erina and her agression went down by 70% right away.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. I took in Pancho(also a BFA) 3 years ago and was told he preferred men.
It started out just like you described. The last 3 years have had some tryng times but only this year he finally allowed me to pet him on his head when he is out on his playgym.
He actually preferred my younger son when he got here but because he paid no attention to Pancho though.

Please be certain to ask a lot of questions and check the home and i have some other things that i would be happy to share with you about choosing a good home for him. I do fostering and rescue work so i would be happy to lend a hand.

Thanks everyone for the advice. And he actually did have a very healthy diet.

FeeBee went to a very loving family today. It was a hard decision for me but I'm confident they will do right by him. They have an Alexandrine and an Orange Wing Amazon that have both been with them for many years. The husband was very good with FeeBee during our visit.

Strangely enough, FeeBee went to their son who is the same age as ours when we were trying to get him into their carrier. Their whole family loves birds so I'm sure he will be well loved. And unlike me, I told them everything about his aggression and cage territoriality up front and they weren't too concerned about it.

They have promised to keep me updated and just I case it doesn't work out, I told them I would take him back.

It is so odd not hearing him talk and play with his toys while I'm sitting here. Even though I'm sure I did the right thing, I'm feeling very sad right now. Almost like guilty because I failed him. Not sure how to explain it. :(

You didnt fail him, you recognized that he didnt fit right with. Rehomimg him was what was best for him. Not every bird will fit with you, you will eventually find a bird that fits perfect, sometimes it just takes a little bit to find the right one. Without you he would of never found the home hes in now. Try not to feel bad, what you did was right for him amd thats what matters most.

I agree you did not fail him. Sometimes we are just not the best possible fit for that bird. We all know what we can and can not handle and what we are able to deal with in regards to behaviors. So do not ever blame yourself. You did the best thing for FeeBee and that was helping him make it to a great home that would care for him and I believe that you can see and know when a pet is in the best home we can see it in how they react to the new family.
I know all that said though it is hard when a flock member leaves. When one of the rescues are ready and head out that door it is like a Mom sending her child off to college in another country. Same goes when i bred my parrotlets I felt the same about my babies. so nothing we can say will change it but hope it helps some.

HUGS

I agree with the others! After all, isn't what we want is what is in our birds best interest? If he wasn't happy in your home, that is no fault of yours, and being able to determine that, and find a home that he would be happy in, you did what was in his best interest! That is by no means a failure!

I was very happy to receive an email from his new family tonight. They decided to change his name to Buddy (can't say I blame them). lol They said their Orange Wing has been cooing to him since he arrived and he was allowing them to rub his beak through the bars already. And he started talking to them as soon as they got him from his carrier into his cage. He didn't start talking for me for a few days. A good sign that he feels comfortable. Because he never talked around strangers/visitors to our home.

I feel so much better and your comments have been very kind. His happiness is my happiness. :)

Most Reactions

Back