Feeling less cocky about harness training...

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
My little ringneck felt like a breeze to harness train - he came out with in the car, and seemed to love it (See profile pic. for proof!).
The kids were having a ball outside today so I thought I'd take the birds to watch. Ethyl put hers on no worries, but Henry wouldn't have a bar of it. Now he is a youngish ringneck, but genuinely rarely bites and rarely screams...I got a good dosing of both. He dodged and ran avoided hard out - and I only wanted to try so hard....clearly I've done something wrong, and I'm got some making up to do. Even banana's and almonds weren't going to work.
He needs to be harness trained if he's going to be flighted - and I am sorely tempted to just clip him instead. So. This thread is me holding myself accountable to fixing whatever's happened, as opposed to just going without.

:confused:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Training/accepting takes weeks! Step 1 is to get them comfortable with you handling their wings, no harness let.

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
The first time you put it on, where were you? The second time you attempted? I am curious. I am still procrastinating with Gollums training.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Well, my humbling, last Friday I came home and realized I had done nothing with Jojo and the harness for a long time. So I picked up the harness tried putting the big loop over his head and he stepped right through it with no issue. The second time? He tangled his foot and panicked! Started flying around on the end of the tether trying to reach any of his safe spots. Finally got loose and made it very clear he was upset with me! I calmed him down apologizing, but if I so much as touched the harness he basically said screw you and flew back to his cage. He will let me lift a wing and as long as I am counting he won't nail me. It is funny to watch because while I am counting he holds his head down and just looks like he's holding his breath!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Not going so well on my end, either. Successfully got Willow in hers once, out of half a dozen attempts. I get it *MOST* of the way on and then she just freaks, and starts biting. Then I need gloves and/or towel to get it of of her, and usually a second set of hands. Getting her head through the hole is the hardest part, because when she's freaking I can't keep her crown down and get it through the hole.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
This kind of regression happens from time to time, especially with very young birds, so it might not necessarily be anything that you did. Babies can initially be fine with the harness, only to reject it outright once they're ready to assert some independence. So don't give up.

You may, however, have to wait a bit for Henry to cool off.

OP
itchyfeet

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
This kind of regression happens from time to time, especially with very young birds, so it might not necessarily be anything that you did. Babies can initially be fine with the harness, only to reject it outright once they're ready to assert some independence. So don't give up.

You may, however, have to wait a bit for Henry to cool off.

Thank you for the reassurance, I needed to hear that!

Training/accepting takes weeks! Step 1 is to get them comfortable with you handling their wings, no harness let.

See this I know. And we did it carefully over three weeks the first time around - all positive and happy. That's what bugs me! Back to square one...its hanging on the outside of his cage...

The first time you put it on, where were you? The second time you attempted? I am curious. I am still procrastinating with Gollums training.

Newsbi I have a really cool we table top type playgym/perch standing thing hubby made, that stands on a wooden pole just below my height. It's where we do all his stuff, and he happily switches between training/play/resting on it. It's a nice level to work off - and that's where I've always done it. Next time I might try it on a T type perch instead.

Well, my humbling, last Friday I came home and realized I had done nothing with Jojo and the harness for a long time. So I picked up the harness tried putting the big loop over his head and he stepped right through it with no issue. The second time? He tangled his foot and panicked! Started flying around on the end of the tether trying to reach any of his safe spots. Finally got loose and made it very clear he was upset with me! I calmed him down apologizing, but if I so much as touched the harness he basically said screw you and flew back to his cage. He will let me lift a wing and as long as I am counting he won't nail me. It is funny to watch because while I am counting he holds his head down and just looks like he's holding his breath!

Oh this sucks, sorry to hear it! :( Welcome back to square one, with me :) It nearly feels harder this time, because they didn't know what it was last time.

Not going so well on my end, either. Successfully got Willow in hers once, out of half a dozen attempts. I get it *MOST* of the way on and then she just freaks, and starts biting. Then I need gloves and/or towel to get it of of her, and usually a second set of hands. Getting her head through the hole is the hardest part, because when she's freaking I can't keep her crown down and get it through the hole.

What bit is she panicking at? is it when you move the buckle?

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
What bit is she panicking at? is it when you move the buckle?

Generally she doesn't like getting her head in the thing, but that's not it. Wings are easy. The soon as I try tightening the loop around her waist, (to tighten the buckle) is where Willow starts freaking out. And/or whenever I try to take her head back out of it. I think her stepping on the harness or grabbing it with her feet has a lot to do with it.

OP
itchyfeet

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Man that sucks :(
Slight progress from Henry today. He took an almond through the wing hole.

OP
itchyfeet

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Had a visit to the local hardware store today so decided Henry could come too. All good with getting the harness on until the tightening of the buckle. I did it anyway. He took turns between my shoulder and my husbands, not getting cross or bitey - just sitting. I tried to see if he would play peek a boo or whistle for the staff down there, but no. He did take an almond from them though.

I got him home, took it off, and he immediately came to my shoulder and started giving me kisses and whistles - like he was thankful to be home and have it off. Just have to work on every experience being a good experience.

Most Reactions