Female Ringneck is laying eggs at the moment. Needing Advice Please

SheenaInPhx

Apr 9, 2020
Phx, AZ
Parrots
I have a Green Indian Ringneck named Larry, and a Green Indian Ringneck named Lola. They are just over 3 years old.
Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum, and hoping to find some fellow animal lovers to help me out. My husband surprised me with a pair of juvenile Indian Ring Necks just over 2 years ago. He was told that they "had not been socialized in awhile" and brought them home knowing I can tame just about anything. Apparently I've finally met my match....

Well, long story short, they had never actually been handled by people and I quickly found out that it was going to be a near impossible task to get these guys to not be afraid of us. We named them Larry & Lola. It has been 2 years, and Larry and I have daily conversations, routines, and share meals. But he will not let me hold him or touch him. Lola has never gained much confidence, but does occasionally take food from me. So, sadly because of this they are still wild for the most part. I love them all the same, and will never stop trying to gain their trust, but it's safe to say they aren't the cuddly type. : )

This evening we found a single egg below the main part of their cage. (The floor has a gap of a few inches)Lola likes to go down in the seed tray and hide among their leftovers when she gets tired of Larry's antics. Lol. I know absolutely nothing about parrots and eggs, and was hoping this would be something that happened later rather than sooner. I know, wishful thinking. It's not that I don't want babies, I just wanted Larry and Lola to be a little more happy with humans beforehand, and couldn't stand the thought of separating them, since they only had each other.

Going into this completely ignorant at the moment-I know she will lay more than one egg more than likely, but she doesn't have a nest box down there. Would it be safe for me to get one and put the eggs in it(in the bottom of the actual cage, not the seed tray...Lol), or would it be best to let them hatch down there? I'm hoping I can move them, as I really don't want the babies hatching in the dirtiest part of the cage. I don't want to panic Lola by moving them, and I don't want her to abandon them if I put a nest box in. Not sure how picky they are. My other birds are so much easier in my head right now! Lol. I've never had problems like this with them. Then again, their eggs hatch and they can feed themselves upon entering the world. Totally different birds. Ugh.

Also, is Larry going to able to remain in the cage after the babies are hatched? I've tried reading up on this in the past and their seems to be differing opinions on the matter.

I also know that if I want friendly babies(fingers crossed for successful hatch) then I will need to remove them at some point and hand raise/feed them. When and how should I do this? I'm really hoping to talk to someone with personal experience, as I want to do this in the absolute best way possible for everyone involved. I know they should hatch approximately 23 days after she incubates them. Similar to the other birds I raise. I have tons of experience with Chickens, Ducks, and Quail, but I honestly can't imagine a baby bird that can't walk or eat by itself, lol. This should be quite the learning experience.

I am so sorry that I have no idea what I'm dealing with. I promise I'm very useful in other areas of raising animals. Any and all information and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Most Reactions