Finally a little breakthrough with Willow!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Finally had a breakthrough getting Willow to eat fresh food instead of just seeds. I made some pasta tonight, angel hair spaghetti. and put a few three inch strands in her bowl, mostly plain with a few tomato chunks and a little bit of sauce.

Cooked pasta seems to be the one thing I've never had too much trouble getting my birds to eat! Going to try some tubular or shell pasta next and stuff it with some healthy stuff and maybe a few seeds in the center so she has to dig for it. She's ignored the dry stuff for now, but I'm just happy she's eating something new!:grey:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If they enjoy pasta, what about buying one of those gadgets that turns vegetables into pasta?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great progress with Willow! It's always a joy to see them dig into the good stuff. Have you tried the organic brown rice and quinoa pasta noodles?

I've discovered a tiny bit of coconut oil mixed into a fresh bowl of chop usually encourages picky eaters.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
When I get paid this week I'm going to look into getting one of those little thingamajigs to make veggie pasta! And I have some of those other pastas, going to try cooking some up tonight or tomorrow!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I've discovered a tiny bit of coconut oil mixed into a fresh bowl of chop usually encourages picky eaters.

Me too! But I have to melt it down first and pour it over whatever I want him to eat.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Very good! Question on raw tomatoes though. There is a bit of mixed information, but what it seems to come down to is a little bit of raw tomatoe is OK but only a small amount. The issue seems to be with its acidity.

If I am wrong, let the beatings begin!:43:

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Very good! Question on raw tomatoes though. There is a bit of mixed information, but what it seems to come down to is a little bit of raw tomatoe is OK but only a small amount. The issue seems to be with its acidity.

If I am wrong, let the beatings begin!:43:

Don't worry, they were cooked from some tomato sauce, and just a tiny bit.

I'm missing the summertime Jersey tomatoes right now though, I know my fellow Jersey people know exactly what I'm talking about!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm doing the same thing with Kiwi right now.

Won't touch the fresh stuff.

However, if it's in birdie bread, or if it's mixed in with pasta, she eats every last scrap of it, and comes looking for more...

SHHH! DON'T TELL HER IT'S GOOD FOR HER!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Funnier reaction was Maggie, who insisted on sitting on my shoulder while I mixed the ingredients in the birdie bread...

FULL ON MACAW HAPPY HEAD PUMP the entire time I was mashing it. :D

Most Reactions