finger holding

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
So Zack has started reaching thru the bars and gently grabbing my finger. When I first got him he would grab tightly like he was trying to hurt me. Now he just wants to hold onto my finger. He has even held onto me with both feet and hangs onto a bar with his beak! It looks hilarious when he does it. :09:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Malachai would do this daily as it makes him feel a bit more comfortable just holding me and having me there. Willie does it to play foot games with me as he likes to play tickle feet. All I have to do is say tickle feet and he'll be right there ready to play. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sammie isn't a zon, but she likes to hold my finger while she's getting scritches.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sammie isn't a zon, but she likes to hold my finger while she's getting scritches.

That would be Maggie in my house...

Actually, Sweepea likes to get nose to beak when getting head scratches.

Sally and Tusk both curl up with their head upside down...

Lila is a I'd rather not be touched bird. Just let me sit on your shoulder and talk to me while I do my happy bird displays.

Every bonded bird does something like that, I think... Over time, it becomes something of a ritual for both bird and person. I think.

OP
Dougc1369

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
Zack bends his head forward and raises his feathers for scritching. I am hesitant to let him on my shoulder, he has a tendency to bite if startled and if I turn my head to fast he reacts. He has tried to groom my hair on occasion (which I didn't realize what he was doing of course!) Still having a problem telling when he is going to bite and when he is going to beak.

I do enjoy the finger holding tho! :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
he has a tendency to bite if startled and if I turn my head to fast he reacts. Still having a problem telling when he is going to bite and when he is going to beak.

I do enjoy the finger holding tho! :D

STARTLE BITERS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE SHOULDER BIRDS...

The only bird I have that is not allowed on my shoulder is my CAG, who also could bite if startled. He is a hand and arm bird.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph the Quaker parrot likes to hold onto my finger whenever I'm near his cage, and sometimes when he's out of his cage too. :)

Recently I went to a local pet store to buy some things for Ralph and I stopped to visit with a White-bellied Caique they have for sale. While I was giving him scritches, the Caique grabbed onto one of my fingers and wouldn't let go. I don't think he wanted me to leave. :) He finally released me when another parrot in the store let out a big screech, and the WBC was curious to see what that was all about-- otherwise, I'd probably still be held captive in the pet store. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts