First eggs and lost eggs??

Birds88

Nov 19, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus family
Hello,
We are new here and need an advice ,please.
We have pair breeders Timneh (were told by vet at least 20 years old ).
Saw them mating few times, after 5-6 weeks found first egg and second egg later. their diet is veg+fruits, vitamins+Ca (after we saw eggs) and different pellets, Light -full spectrum above cage too.
We checked box twice during 4 weeks and saw two eggs. Mom was 99% inside the box.
Yesterday, on day 27 we open box for few seconds when both were eating fresh food and. found no eggs, no remaining of ANY sign that they ever had eggs.
So, we are kind of worry and in frustration what to do next....

Anyone had same experience:15: yet??

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hello,
We are new here and need an advice ,please.
We have pair breeders Timneh (were told by vet at least 20 years old ).
Saw them mating few times, after 5-6 weeks found first egg and second egg later. their diet is veg+fruits, vitamins+Ca (after we saw eggs) and different pellets, Light -full spectrum above cage too.
We checked box twice during 4 weeks and saw two eggs. Mom was 99% inside the box.
Yesterday, on day 27 we open box for few seconds when both were eating fresh food and. found no eggs, no remaining of ANY sign that they ever had eggs.
So, we are kind of worry and in frustration what to do next....

Anyone had same experience:15: yet??

You may want to contact one of the Moderators and have them switch your Thread to the Breeders' Forum.

Breeding is a combination of practiced science, supervised tutorial, gained experience, and Art. Even at that point, there are no assurances that a Mating Pair will provide young, healthy babies. In addition, you need to have 'On-Call' an Avian Vet.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Moved and bumping up so hopefully someone can help:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, Breeders tend to be busy people and that may likely represent the slow response to your Thread.

At this point, I would be visiting my Avian Vet to confirm the health and diet needs of your Mating Pair.

I'm assuming that you are in communication with the individual(s) that sold you this pair, yes?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Might just be that the eggs weren't viable. I seem to recall reading that some birds will completely dispose of the eggs if they determine that they will not hatch. But I do hope one of our members more experienced with breeding will chime in to confirm or deny.

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
Hi Birds88, I have never bred Timnehs but I am sure the concept is the same.

Just a quick question, have you bred any other birds or are these your first?
Have they been DNA sexed?

I have had this experience with my quakers. Birds are very smart creatures and they know if the egg is fertile or not. When the hen is incubating the egg she will be able to feel movement inside. No movement, no chick. Some will eat the shell for the calcium.

Did you candle the eggs to see if they were fertile? (Not recommending, just asking. Some birds may abandon if touched)

A lot of birds do not produce fertile eggs in the first clutch and maybe the second. They are still learning the technique. You can have them checked out by a vet, but I think you should be fine. Make sure your birds have extra calcium. This is required for a strong baby and shell.

Hope this helps. Sorry just a quick reply, on my way out. Someone else I am sure will be here to give you more information

OP
B

Birds88

Nov 19, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Thanks All for reply and help.

We bought that pair few month ago and the person who sold it told that it was a very good pair of breeders.
We got them with their cage and the box. I fixed the box where the front plate was "eaten up" with a sharp opening and it had bad steps down.
We saw them mate few times and saw 2 eggs later.
We did not disturbed them a lot , just checked inside the box few times .
Calcium was added to their food. Male feed a hen inside the box regularly. she was out for bath and some food too.

So, we do not know what we did wrong and why eggs disappeared = were eaten and do we need to remove them from the box next time at the beginning??

OP
B

Birds88

Nov 19, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
This is out first pair of breeders, we have pets eclectus pair too.
When we bought that pair we were told that they are 13 years old and had babies before. Vet check them and told that they are much older because of the rings (looks like piece of wire , round shape on their legs. No DNA test done yet ( well we saw them mating few times).

Most Reactions

Latest posts