fledgling mynah

yann

Oct 19, 2013
Hi everyone! today i found a young mynah at a train station that was continuously trying to jump into a glass wall, i moved it to another corner and watched if the parents came back for it. No other mynah came near and there was even a small kid that chased it and started kicking it:mad: the train station was incredibly crowded and there would be a very high chance that the lil fella would get trampled or kicked by accident so i decided to bring him/her home.

quite a bad pic sorry but the best i could get today
20140705_161922_zps33727bf5.jpg

i have a few questions on feeding as this fella does not seem to be hungry or have any sort of response to food. all the stores have run out of the softbill pellets so i fed about 6 little balls of mushy kaytee formula and ground up cat food, also gave a dried mealworm and a bit of banana. is that enough for one feeding?? and is there any way to trigger some hunger response?? he just sits there like a rock when i wave the food in front of him. i had to open his mouth and pop the food in though…since he wouldn't open his mouth, is that bad??:confused:

lso, he keeps trying to escape from the cage and i feel really bad for him:(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for helping this little fledgling, Yann. Sounds like he needed a hero pretty bad. I think the formula sounds right, but I'm no expert on wild babies. Do you think the little guy is just traumatized from his experience and will regain his appetite when he's calmed a bit? I think your feeding method is fine if that's the only way to get food in him. Good luck with this little one.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, I am so glad you kept him from being killed there at the station. When we had mynahs years ago, they loved fruits, especially berries and softer fruits. Maybe he would try that?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Have you got a large pair of tweezers? Like the medical ones? Or long-nosed pliers? He might respond if you offer him food from a 'bill' rather than just putting it in front of him. I had this experience with a baby starling and the tweezers worked perfectly for him: he began to feed and grew up to be a gorgeous young man! Best of luck with the little myna. I hope he begins to feed for you. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh how cute it is! :) I'm so glad you were able to save him from that awful kid :mad: I have NO idea about wild birds, but Trish's suggestion with the tweezers sounds like it might help. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Most Reactions

Latest posts