Flying food

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Is your bird a flicker of food?
Gracie, my 16 week old Silver/Lavender IRN is a food flicker. I am sure you all know what I mean by food flicker - she uses her beak to flick food OUT of the bowl and all over the place. It's very wasteful and VERY messy. Missy, my 18 week old Lutino IRN doesn't flick - except when it's stuck on her beak.
How do I minimise, if not stop, Gracie from doing this?
She's a tad fussier than Missy (Missy could do with being a bit fussier....) re food, and unlike Missy, I didn't hand rear her, the breeder did and she was on soaked seeds, only diet. I now have her eating peas and corn with chop, to introduce her to chop, fresh fruit and, something supposedly pellets which they only pick out the stuff they like and it's not the pellets. Oh, and I also give them, separately, so Gracie gets used to the taste, cooked rice, lentils, cous cous, quinoa and pasta.

Attachments

• 20220104_090317.jpg
    20220104_090317.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 80

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
tiki loves to flick seeds..
i think it's natural behavior
in the wild..
birds usually throw all the seeds around so more yummy stuff apper later
altho this isnt seed but she might have the same idea in her head?

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
in the wild..
Just odd that Missy doesn't but I get that doesn't surprise me... Missy is like that.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
in the wild..
I think it's also so they can get the food off their beaks.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
I see all this fabric and threads . This isn't good for them to chew on. All the little threads build up in their crop and can lead to crop impaction and even death. I have some links in my ornithology thread that are pretty graphic. I can link if you want.

Its really best to provide Natural material to chew on, coconut husk, yucca chips, sea grass, willow, bamboo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My GCC is a food flicker too lol, but he just does it when chop gets on the outside of his beak then he shakes his head and it goes everywhere

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hi,
I see all this fabric and threads . This isn't good for them to chew on. All the little threads build up in their crop and can lead to crop impaction and even death. I have some links in my ornithology thread that are pretty graphic. I can link if you want.

Its really best to provide Natural material to chew on, coconut husk, yucca chips, sea grass, willow, bamboo
Agreed. Some of my birds also love to chew on sisal rope, it's safe and won't cause impaction.

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Weirdly a few years back when I discovered pellets Koko stopped flinging food after I changed his diet. I think it's because that there were seeds that were mixed with the seeds, he likes the most and I think he was just trying to find them.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I only feed dry food ( pellets and a Walnut, Nutraberry or almond) inside the cage and its left there all day. Wet food, served for a lunch and a dinner is served at a different feeding station, out of the cage, with a huge stainless bowl ( like 30" dia) under it and also a office matt under the station. Salty is not much of a flinger, but I would either use a shower curtain tacked up around the feeding station or in severe cases panels of Plexiglas (perspex in some countries) and set up for easy removal and washing. Thats a bit pricey to set up, but man the hours saved in clean up!!

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
There is at least a 1-foot perimeter around the cage that collects food debris. Mango has been known to toss coffee cups and bowls off the top of his cage when he doesn't agree with the menu.

Most Reactions

Latest posts