TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, I have to know, do your birds learn from one another? Mac has already taught Hamlet a trick and I am not sure that I am going to like it ... :25:

So, Hamlet is a "water-birdie" loves to take baths, Mac on the other hand does not as much. The other day, though at breakfast Mac decided that he was going to take a bath in his water dish (right after I had changed it) and Hamlet saw the whole thing ... Now, Mac (a 60 g GCC) taking a bath in his water dish is not a big deal ... But HAMLET (a 105 g SUN Conure), well that's a different story ... Hamlet climbed into his water dish and started bathing, exuberantly! He fling water 10 ft (3+ meters) and covered the walls, the pictures, the curtains, mom & dad .... :eek: It was quite a sight to see ...

Now, here is the questions, has one of your birds taught one of your other birds any bad/annoying habbits (and Peta, I know you must have stories ... )

~ :50: Tex, Hamlet & Mac

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yeah tex, just one or two As you know Bucc HATES taking showers or mistings for that matter, Kito LOVES them (at the moment) Now over the last few weeks Bucc will bathe in his water dish (the mess well you can image, a 450 g bird :eek: not a pretty sight I can tell ya) every single time I change it, you can image what I do with my day. Why has he all of a sudden taken to doing this well he's seen the Rosella's and Flynnie doing the same thing and we laughed as the water would go everywhere. Bucc has also taught Kito the raspberry sound, but whereas bucc will say "scuse um" after wards Kito doesn't. Not so great.

In the last couple days Kito has realised that he can scream :eek: (and boy can he scream) guess who he's teaching that too (I'll give ya a clue, its not the little guys yet)

Now thats the trouble with multiple birdies, no one ever tells ya about this side of things Be prepared Tex for looks like you got yourself one mischievious little GCC there, who is gonna be teaching Hamlet a few more things yet. :D

I'll have a think of all the other things one of them has taught the other. (Hey its only 8 am here and I've already been up for 2 hours) :D

Just thought of another one Bucc has taught Kito, the food thowing oh yeah thats a great one that is, especially when they have pomegranate (on todays menu) They are both getting really good at getting it right across the room, even the ceiling.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
When I have Daisy and Sidney out together Daisy trys to do everything Sidney does. She picks u toys with her feet which I've never seen a cockatiel do and she trys to swing and play with all his toys that are too big for her. Sidney never touched millet till he saw Daisy eating it and now he has decided it's pretty good stuff. Daisy was wary of her pellets till she saw Misty eating them then she started eating them ok. In a way having more birds is easier and alot more fun and entertaining cuz they are always trying to outdo each other.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
In a way having more birds is easier

Only if they're teaching each other good things though. Not things like screaming or biting or feather picking, etc.

Sometimes Sisqo will just sit in or on his cage and do a few growls. Real soft 'grrrs'. A couple weeks ago, I muted the tv and I heard him growling. And then I heard Gigi growl back just the same way. They went back and forth for a few minutes with their little growls.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Only if they're teaching each other good things though. Not things like screaming or biting or feather picking, etc.

Yeah thats very true, Kito's cage is next to the little guys and Gemini is a plucker :( Kito was watching him and decided to pull a few from his chest :eek: Don't want that happening again. I've now put a cover between the cages which is a shame as they used to talk together (well mumble anyway)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Okay we have a new trick that Bucc has taught Kito. How to undo the curtains from the track. I went into the kitchen to make a coffee, when I came out the curtains were hanging off the rail. Bucc was in his cage having something to eat and drink so I know it wasn't him. The only one left is Kito.

I'm beginning to think that when they are out of the cage, its gonna be blindfolds for the pair of them. :rolleyes:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Maybe he's trying to frame Kito

That was my first thought, :eek: but when he went in for some food the curtains were still in place. That left Kito, or the dogs and cat :D I wonder which one did it. :rolleyes:

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Hamlet did it again this morning ... but this time, I had my camera ready!

DSC_5320.jpg

DSC_5332.jpg

DSC_5346.jpg

Ok, so these are cute pictures, but really gets me is that Hamlet is doing this now and yet he gets a shower every day, I can't figure this one out ... :06:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep they are really cute pics, but its more fun when he can do it himself, and see all the mess that Mum and Dad need to wipe up. :D He really does go for it doesn't he. :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Awwww...those are really cute pics!! But I have to say that the first one is my favorite. It's almost as if he's playing hide and seek. lol.

Don't know why he would start doing it now. Maybe just a fun new game to pass the time.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
maybe he is testing to see how long he can hold his breath?
Did he have a stop watch with him?

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
maybe he is testing to see how long he can hold his breath?
Did he have a stop watch with him?

Umm, not that I noticed ....

... Don't know why he would start doing it now. Maybe just a fun new game to pass the time.

I think it's because he saw Mac do it twice ... it's like he never thought about it until he saw Mac do it ...

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
OMG!! :eek:

for a second I thought he was bathing in a pot of water on a black top stove :eek:

yeah :D you dont know want to know what I was going to reply for stopping him if that was the case...

YES PETA...ITS THE COFFEE.... 5:33 PM AND ITS STILL IN EFFECT!!

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
oooooo the things that Kira picks up from Alliee...........and not always the greatest things.

Like what, please share some of the gory details! :D

OMG!! ... for a second I thought he was bathing in a pot of water on a black top stove ...

Seriiously now c'mon you know how much I adore these two of mine, what on God's green Earth would make you think that I was doing that? I mean, I have threatened to make "conure soup" with that both of them, but I would never do it! :rolleyes:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yes the threats, I've threatened to do so many things with my lot. As yet have never carried them out............. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts