Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
In another thread Henpecked shared a foraging toy idea, putting bottle caps in a bowl with treats. Today I put my collection of bottle caps in a big plastic bowl, put in treats and Venus has been working on her bowl for an hour now. Right now she has the bowl turned on its side, she's in it, periodically peaks out with a bottle cap or a treat in her beak. One hour down, I wonder how long she'll be busy, lol.

Great idea and cheap! Thanks Henpecked!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
In another thread Henpecked shared a foraging toy idea, putting bottle caps in a bowl with treats. Today I put my collection of bottle caps in a big plastic bowl, put in treats and Venus has been working on her bowl for an hour now. Right now she has the bowl turned on its side, she's in it, periodically peaks out with a bottle cap or a treat in her beak. One hour down, I wonder how long she'll be busy, lol.

It doesn't have to be expensive, to work. In fact, some of the "cheap toys" work better than the expensive toys...

Kinda fun to see them OCDing on something you threw together yourself, too, isn't it?!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
It is! She took a break and is back at it. She's been tossing the bottle caps too and I've picked them up and put them back in her bowl and she starts digging again, lol.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
In another thread Henpecked shared a foraging toy idea, putting bottle caps in a bowl with treats. Today I put my collection of bottle caps in a big plastic bowl, put in treats and Venus has been working on her bowl for an hour now. Right now she has the bowl turned on its side, she's in it, periodically peaks out with a bottle cap or a treat in her beak.One hour down, I wonder how long she'll be busy, lol.

How big is that bowl?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanks for sharing the idea! I can't wait to try it!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You can use those paper disposable bowls for this one. Then the bowl itself becomes a shredder toy.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I sometimes use a small box and poke holes and attach it to the cage with twist ties for those days I have a lot of appointments and need something to keep Zilla occupied.

The plastic bottle caps can be recovered from the bottom of the cage and sanitized for the next day also. I put them in a lingerie bag and toss on the top shelf of the dishwasher, then just drain on a paper towel for a couple hours.

Of course I don't drink soda or bottled water so my friends and family think I'm nuts when I ask them to save theirs for me :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I actually use soda 12 pack boxes as foraging boxes, and just stuff a bunch of things in there... then they have to shred the box to get at the stuff I put in there... sometimes having to work through other stuff to find it.

It's easy. It's inexpensive. And best of all, it holds their attention for extended periods of time.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Here's the bowl. I wasn't sure about the size to use and she loves playing in this bowl.
taw5106-albums-2014-picture13971-image.jpg

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
I've actually been saving my bottle caps for this exact reason!
Glad to know others have had success with their birds enjoying it :D

I don't have enough yet for a good foraging toy, but I'm getting there.
Most bottled water has those smaller caps now, which are more conure-sized. Most excellent.

I'll have to start bugging family and friends for bigger caps for my incoming grey though!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I have an endless supply of different size bottle caps from my work (kitchen of a nursing home). I asked the shift that does the drinks to save the caps for me....now I have BAGS of them! People bring in caps from home now too. I haven't tried putting them in a bowl but I will definitely be trying that one! I have drilled holes in the caps and strung them up for toys. Now if I could get the activities department to do a craft of making parrot toys....hmmmm....:54:

Most Reactions