Found A LOST Plum-Headed Parakeet and Need Advice

Devin711

May 9, 2022
Parrots
Kiddo and Nimbus
Hi, last night my neighbors found a parakeet in their backyard, specifically a plum headed parakeet. I already have two parakeets and a spare clean cage on hand so after catching it I brought it home while we look for it’s owners. Does anyone know if they have any specific dietary needs or any other important things I should know about the species while caring for it? I have budgie pellets, nutriberries, and vegetables currently but can pick up any other food if needed. Also general advice for caring for a lost bird is appreciated!! Hopefully the owners will be located soon, I don’t think she was out for long. I can attach photos if needed. She doesn’t seem tired or even that nervous, just a little stressed with being in a new place, but her behavior is relatively normal.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Those are beautiful birds! But I’m glad you’re looking for her owners as they probably really miss her.

I think that budgie pellets and nutriberries should work. She might prefer a bigger pellet. I would think that toys and cage sized for a cockatiel would be about right.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome Devin711, and thank you for rescuing this little one from an uncertain future out there in the wild! As Heather mentioned, I'm glad you are trying to find the owners, they are probably missing her terribly! I will link up a resource where you can search for lost birds in your area, plus you can make a listing of your own on this link as well to try to get the word out ....

Also, you can alert ALL local vet clinics in your area, not just avian specific ones. I recently found a cockatiel and I alerted 6 or 8 local vet clinics about it, they all keep a database of lost animals just in case someone calls. In my case no success and I still have little Jem the cockatiel, but you might get lucky and find your parakeet's family.

Best of luck to you whatever the outcome!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
FLyers posted in crowded areas, like supermarkets etc, but DONT include the type of parrot in the flyer. Make anyone responding to you tell you what kind of parrot they lost, so you avoid any false claims to the bird.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
And if she’s got a leg band, ask for the numbers, or other identifying marks.

You could just list her as found: large green parakeet. Then if her mom and dad are looking for her they will know but others would think you’ve got a budgie.

How is she doing? Talking? Does she seem interested in being friendly?

(I am typing left handed as my right arm is being licked, presumably in search of avicake.)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am so, so, SO happy that she is back with her family! They were probably so stressed out about her, but now they know their feathered friend is safe. Thanks for helping them!

Most Reactions

Latest posts