Freddie is Stll Biting

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
This is all great advice, and I have nothing to add but just my best wishes for you. Let us all know his progress!

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I agree with Scott 100%. As to his bites, I think he might do it as a warning to you. I also think that maybe your moving his stick when he looks as if he is going to bite you might not be making things better (it's kind of like fulfilling his prophecy and justifying his continuing with the bites). Why don't you try putting on a very thick (or two, one on top of another) oven mitt? It would prevent his bite from hurting you and would eliminate the 'wobbly' stick.

I did try the glove first when he came...he totally freaked at the sight if it!

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Boo hates gloves, too.

My other half uses a perch stick to take Boo upstairs and bring him back down - we had a spare stair baluster (the vertical post that holds up the stair rail) made of cherry wood around the house. It's a hardwood, and he can chew on it while he's on it, and it's long enough that he can't get from one end to the other without warning. It's also nicely sanded and smooth, doesn't give any splinters, and it's convenient to hold. You can pick one up at any home hardware store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.).

He used to try to bite MOH, but he's settled down over the years. I think a few business trips for me, with Boo being left in the care of The Evil One made him realize that, well, maybe evil was a little harsh, and maybe MOH wasn't quite so bad after all. He now asks for (and gets) head scratches and treats from both of us. We're his flock, and he's learned how he fits in.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Boo sounds lovely! I'm sure it'll all work out for Freddie, as well. Hubby tried to put him to bed tonight, and used the stick. Fred flew to me, and landed on the floor. I offered my arm, he stepped on, said "Hi, babe"....and didn't bite. He is such a charmer!!! Gotta love it!:D

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I've been away for a week....so just updating here. Fred's attitude seems to have drastically improved. We took all the birds to my parents, as we visited for a week, and it worked out well. Fred had a lot of fun, or at least he seemed to. He stepped up willingly, no biting, asked for a lot of head scratches, allowed me to rub his beak, and his toes....he's very different. Maybe he has learned to trust me, maybe he was a little insecure with his new surroundings??? but I'm "tickled pink!!!":)

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
He stepped up willingly, no biting, asked for a lot of head scratches, allowed me to rub his beak, and his toes....he's very different. Maybe he has learned to trust me, maybe he was a little insecure with his new surroundings??? but I'm "tickled pink!!!":)

That's excellent! There might be some backsliding, but now you know what he can be like.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I'm so happy that I found him...

A little backsliding is OK. I worried a lot that the biting may be a normal behavior for him, and I think it was, but he's very smart. He seems to know that I don't like it...

Most Reactions

Latest posts