Freighting Green Cheeks?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I have a dear parrot-lovin-friend who desperately wants to purchase one of my hand-raised bubs but lives in Queensland AUS (and I in South Australia). Would it be much too stressful for 1 green cheek to be freighted there?

What age would it be ok to freight? And what are your thoughts on the manner?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Birds can be flown over in airplanes, but I would never freight/truck a bird over.

You should contact a excellent breeder in australia who can explain to you how to safety do so. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Contact the airlines and see what is required.

Birds are constantly shipped, weaned and unweaned, across several states within the USA.

I wouldn't suggest shipping an unweaned chick, and would recommend waiting at least 3-5 weeks after weaning a chick before shipping one.

About 3 months ago, I had a red throated conure shipped to me from Ohio to Nevada in the USA. It was supposed to be a 12 hr flight, but she got stuck in Texas and the trip ended up being around 35 hours instead.

marceldacs317

Jul 31, 2013
Wait how is a flight from ohio to nevada 12 hours. That seems like it should be 3 hours if it were on a jet, unless there were a lot of stops or it were like a really slow plane.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
There are always lay overs in flights unless you can find a direct one. I got had my Blue and gold flown to me and the trip went fine!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
marceldacs, there was a lay-over in Dallas, TX. We thought the layover would be in Chicago (as per the flight info online), but it went through TX instead. There are no direct flights between Ohio and Nevada. Jayde's flight was apparently delayed leaving Ohio, so she missed her connecting flight in Texas, and then the temperature in Texas got too hot to ship her out that day, hence getting stuck there over-night and getting the next flight out to Nevada.

Only two airlines *HAD* cargo shipping in both Ohio and Nevada (Delta and American Airlines if I remember correctly). The other airlines that accepted pets may have had a cargo area in one state, but not the other... or they only allowed pets in cabin, not in cargo. Of course, to add on to all this, it was during one of our hottest months this year and the airlines wont ship above 85° F if any airport reached that temperature around the time that she'd be there. At the time, it was already in the 80's by 10am... And she was supposed to arrive on the last day where it was supposed to be below 85° at the time of arrival for about a weeks time... and when she didn't show up... ya... we were both freaking out! Texas still shipped her the next day, even though when she arrived it was around 88° F, and the lady on the phone I had spoken to was saying that they wouldn't ship her because the temp was expected to be 86°! She had to call the Texas airport to confirm that they were shipping her out!

Most Reactions

Latest posts