Fresh bamboo stalks okay to put in cage??

Figment

May 2, 2012
Chokoloskee, Florida
Parrots
Tico & Taco - Fishers Lovebirds
There is some bamboo that needs trimming a the resort we are staying at..... would it be safe to put some of the stalks in the cage with my Love Birds for them to play around on?

It just seems like it maybe kind of fun for them to play on with the leaves still attached and everything.....

:rainbow1:

OP
Figment

Figment

May 2, 2012
Chokoloskee, Florida
Parrots
Oh my....I have no idea! There is just some clusters of bamboo here in the RV park we are living at and my husband works maintenance and is going to do some trimming this week. I thought it may be a good idea.... but maybe not????

:11:

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
April - 32 year old Panama Amazon!
Zuri - 3 year old Congo African grey
George - 4 year old Panama Amazon
I was also wondering this. PortaPerch, can you ID it if we post pics? I have 2 different kinds in my backyard.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Bamboo seems to be on all safe for parrots lists.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I would be more worried about them being sprayed with insecticides since they are in an RV park, is there a way you could find out if anyone has sprayed anything?

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Sorry, Tortoise Lady, all I know is from wiki. I grew up amid the forests of western Oregon, and can barely tell a hemlock from a hedge apple. It was only recently I learned that Eucalyptus grove I hike through every morning is also called Gum.

I would take samples to a local Asian restaurant, where they no doubt have immigrants. Some bamboo is used in Thai food at least.

The cyanide in Giant Bamboo is no doubt the exception. You would do well to read that wiki link.

PP
http://www.parrotforums.com/members/tortoiselady17.html

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I had heard, when growing up, that bamboo leaves were harmful to horses. It swelled up in there stomachs. I don't know this as fact, just thought I would share.

Another thought I have is...my bird, Amigo, has been all over our property, including a bamboo patch that we planted 24yrs. ago. He still lives! What I've noticed about this bird is that he tries new things tentatively, little licks first, before going for it. He's not big on bamboo but loves the new pomegranite buds.

Last edited:
OP
Figment

Figment

May 2, 2012
Chokoloskee, Florida
Parrots
I would be more worried about them being sprayed with insecticides since they are in an RV park, is there a way you could find out if anyone has sprayed anything?

Well, we know they definately don't spray anything here in the park. That would require too much work ! LOL.....

That was one of the first things I asked. And they don't have anyone come in and spray.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts